General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Another dumb question from Pizzarrhea.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Default Another dumb question from Pizzarrhea.

Second post.
Another dumb question but where better to post than the Monte Carlo forum?
Alright so, I was driving earlier in the snow and I took a sharp turn and my trac off light automatically when on, my ABS light went on, and my service brake system soon light when on. On top of that when I turn my wheel it's very tight. I turned my car off then turned it back on and the lights didn't go back on but my steering is still tight, when I accelerate the steering loosens up though.
Can anyone give me some insight as to what the problem COULD be?
So far I have: control arm, tie rod, ball joint ( no ), and steering fluid.

:[

Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

btw thats not a dumb question, or at least in my book it isn't...hmm idk you seem to have down the things i would have guessed. have you checked the steering fluid? and are you planning on taking it to a mechanic to check it out?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
btw thats not a dumb question, or at least in my book it isn't...hmm idk you seem to have down the things i would have guessed. have you checked the steering fluid? and are you planning on taking it to a mechanic to check it out?
I didn't check my fluid because I couldn't find the reservoir for it, I looked in the manual and looked where it said it was and I just can't find out. I'm bringing it to a mechanic tomorrow, I really hope it's just my steering fluid.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

its probably just your steering fluid like said above, its probably too thick and just gave the car a jolt, or its the pump, either way its not a huge fix in the pocket

Old 01-06-2010, 12:54 AM

The PSR sits behind the alternator. It's in there! You can stick your hand behind the alt and feel the cap. I still can't figure why in the heck GM put that thing there.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 AM

lol i felt stupid too when i couldnt find it either, on my 3800 its behind the alternator, you'll have to get on the passenger side to get it. A couple of guys from here told me where it was lol. check make sure the power steering fluid is filled. hey in case you need one i have power steering pump and hose that i was going to use two weeks ago when i thought my steering pump was shot, but the fluid was low. Again i have a 3800 dont know if it will work on yours

Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like everyone said, the power steering is in the back of the engine, all the way at the bottom, below the alternator. Hunt around that area, and you will find it.

Sounds like your fluid is either low, or thick from the cold. You may consider getting the cold climate fluid that GM has, and changing your power steering fluid.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm actually bringing the car to the shop in a few.
And Jomao, I have a 2000 SS. So yeah it's a 3800

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There's your power steering.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM

Life doesn't get any better, need a new Rack-and-Pinion..

Quick Reply: Another dumb question from Pizzarrhea.