General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
88.89%
no
0%
I don't know
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Air Bags, YES OR NO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Default Air Bags, YES OR NO?

Do you care if your car has airbags?

I prefer airbags. But only if it comes witha way, to disarm the bags.I know some vehicle has this feature.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Default RE: Air Bags, YES OR NO?

hell yeah i prefer airbags. cause it is some airheads that are driving on the roads out there

Old 02-25-2007, 02:26 AM

Why would you want to disarm the bags? I prefer front, side, and side curtain if possible, and will pay the extra $$$ to get them if available. Take a look at how cars perform with side & curtain airbags at the National Institute for Highway Safety or the Insurance Institute. In testing they almost always get a pick of acceptable over cars without them.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:12 AM

[align=center][:-]Airbag Safety [:-][/align][align=center][sm=interesting.gif][/align]Protecting yourself, Space and your family from airbag injuries:[align=left]Airbags detonate with more than 1200 lbs of force at speeds that can exceed 230 mph. Knowing how to protect yourself and your passengers can help you prevent unnecessary injuries or even deaths. Currently, NHTSA has given the car companies until 2012 to provide these "Advanced Airbags", but no manufacturer has yet claimed to have developed an airbag system that meets the new criteria. Until "safe" airbags are developed and installed and proven, you need to protect yourself. [/align][align=left]NHTSA's new criteria for "advanced air bags" will require manufacturers to make supplemental restraint systems and airbags that are safe for children and women as well as for the standard sized male. These supplemental restraint and airbag systems will be developed to meet the final implementation deadline of 2012. So far, the airbag systems developed over the last few years have made progress, with multistage airbags and occupant eight and position sensors. In September 2003 the first systems were be introduced by GM and others which turn off the airbag based on both occupant weight and position. But there is still a long way to go before the dynamic airbag test requirements are met and the systems are safe for children and shorter women and those with medical conditions.[/align][align=left]Airbag systems were developed for the 5 ft 8 inch 180 lb. male, and only tested to be sure they met their needs. Unfortunately, this did not help shorter people, who have to sit closer to the steering wheel than 10 or 12 inches. Nor did the requirements consider children, or those who have medical reasons why they are in danger from the force of an exploding airbag.[/align][align=left]The danger to those in these categories is well understood by NHTSA, and they will give permission for an airbag switch once someone fills out a form stating that they meet the criteria (or that they will meet the criteria when they have someone in one of these endangered groups will ride in their car).[/align][align=left]Once safe airbags are developed and produced, NHTSA will probably no longer give permission for airbag switches in those cars.[/align][align=left]New medical findings are now available that illustrate the danger of airbag injury to all people. Injuries are far more prevalent than deaths, but the data is difficult to evaluate because accidents and injuries are voluntarily reported to the National Automotive Sampling System and include information not investigated and verified. But these are the best information available. Injuries are not recognized as an issue or tracked by NHTSA.[/align][align=left]The number of airbag induced deaths reported by NHTSA only has included accidents investigated by NHTSA's Special Crash Investigation (SCI) Division. As of 1988, the SCI decided to focus only on investigating accidents that included the latest airbag technology, because their primary purpose is to help auto manufacturers develop safer and better airbags. But whenever statistics on airbag induced deaths are quoted, those numbers are used as if the SCI investigated deaths are the only deaths from airbags. But the bulk of the deaths are not investigated because they don't involve the latest technology. Therefore there are far more deaths than are quoted in the official statistics published by NHTSA. This holds true with injuries as well: very few are ever investigated or counted.[/align][align=left][b]Dr Maria-Segui

Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I looked hard for a car with driver side impact air bag. Only about 1 of 10 has it. I've totaled 2 w-bodies, and I want this item, and wouldn't buy one without it. I bought this car 600 mi from home.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 02-25-2007, 12:56 PM

I've blown up several airbags (not in the car) and it's amazing that when people get in an accident, they don't even remember hearing them go off.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:06 PM

But if you bought your car used, How do you know if someone hasn't mess with the air bags. I wonder if you took it too a dealership, ifthey can somehow run a test on it?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:19 PM

I will not buy are without them.
My 06 LTZ has both the front and side bags.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Ditto here Mrrench.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Ditto here Mrrench.

Quick Reply: Air Bags, YES OR NO?