General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: ABS and Traction Active Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 AM
1 Year Member
Exclamation ABS and Traction Active Issues

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here, but recently my 2004 Monte Carlo SS has been acting kind of strange so I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions. It seems like after I am done backing up and go back into drive the traction active light comes on and the car makes that "humming" noise, if you will. It is as though I am driving on ice even though its dry pavement. Then also when I am turning sometimes my ABS kicks in, again even though I am on dry pavement. It seems like I only have this problem when I am turning the wheels. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The trac and brake service like only came on for about 5 min and hasn't been on since, I've had this problem for a few weeks. With winter coming I want to make sure my ABS and traction are working properly. Thanks in advanced!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wheel hubs. Very common issue on these cars. If you have an ABS light, you can hopefully get the ABS code read and determine which one is causing the problem.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM

I had the same problem,replaced both front hubs, still had the problem. I had the abs codes read and it was intermittent signal. You can save yourself some money and just replace the abs harness to the hub, bought mine off EBay for $30 and took my mechanic fifteen minutes to splice it in. After a year the ABS issue, the car works like new,, no abs/traction issues.....

Old 10-19-2017, 11:53 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the info, I might go that route. Did you only replace one harness? If so do I need the check light to be on in order for someone to read which one is causing the problem?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:16 PM

A repair shop that can read ABS codes can tell you where. I replaced both side on mine but only needed one side.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM

I agree with Chibi, wheel hubs. I had the exact same problem and this last weekend I replaced both front hubs and I haven't heard a peep from ABS since

Old 10-19-2017, 02:37 PM

If the hubs are not making any noise and your problem with abs is shifting forward to reverse, reverse to forward or making a turn, then it is the harness. If you did not replace or clean the harness contacts, start there....it’s free.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:02 AM

i changed harness on both sides and it still does it..

Old 06-24-2020, 11:22 AM

My 2004 MOC SS had a similar problem... it was a sensor in one of the wheels if I remember right. $60 repair. Funny part was, I told the repair shop (Chevy dealer) that I thought that might be the problem, but they said, Oh no, it's this $1200 part instead (the central control module? or some such thing), so they replaced that. I hadn't even driven off the lot and the light came back on! I turned right around and went back in. Guess what it was? Yep, that little sensor. But they had already thrown out the other part, so I still have the new one in my old car.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:09 PM

ordered another hub for left side,it was giving a code..