General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

4th Gen ('81-'88): 8th digit in my vin is "A" but that's not an option?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Default 8th digit in my vin is "A" but that's not an option?

Hey everyone! New to forum and first post!
I just bought a 84 Monte Carlo, I'm trying to check the vin to see which motor came with this model originally, it is a SS clone and I believe it does not have the original motor but would like to know what mine was suppose to have. Anyway, after checking everywhere online and looking up vin decoders it seems everything on my vin matches up except my 8th digit, it says the 8th digit is your engine code, but on my Vin the 8th digit is "A" which does not appear on the list of options. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what it means? Any advice or help is appreciated, thanks!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Thumbs up >>>Welcome<<<>>California

Originally Posted by Diezel
Hey everyone! New to forum and first post!
I just bought a 84 Monte Carlo, I'm trying to check the vin to see which motor came with this model originally, it is a SS clone and I believe it does not have the original motor but would like to know what mine was suppose to have. Anyway, after checking everywhere online and looking up vin decoders it seems everything on my vin matches up except my 8th digit, it says the 8th digit is your engine code, but on my Vin the 8th digit is "A" which does not appear on the list of options. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what it means? Any advice or help is appreciated, thanks!

Hi Diezel & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family...We demand to see pictures of your Monte Carlo, plus everything about it
I don't know if the below will help, but check the below link for your year. Good Luck (p.s. need PDF) to view card

General Motors 1980 - 1989 VIN Information Cards

1989 Model Year
1988 Model Year
1987 Model Year
1986 Model Year
1985 Model Year
1984 Model Year
1983 Model Year
1982 Model Year
1982 Model Year J Car
1981 Model Year
1980 Model Year

https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/
^ Click above link

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-17-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

should be v6 3.8, same motor I had in my 83 monte before changing to built 350.