General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Restoration: 84 SS Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:35 PM
Default 84 SS Monte Carlo

Looking into buying 1984 SS Monte, and owner told me it had a 350 posi rear end, and the trans has a small leak. Wanted to know what was I getting myself into before seriously thinking about buying. Havent went to look at the car just yet (when I do pictures will be added) just wanted to hear you guys say on how big of a job you think this will be.

Exact message: "Okay so it has a 350 in posi rear end. It has all small leak in the Transmission. It has all the interior but the head liner. One set is maroon and the other set is Blue. So it has two sets of interior. It needs so attention. Just don't have the time for it."

P.S. Did also state that it cranks and runs.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:03 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Really just depends on where the leak is. Could be a leaky pan gasket, transmission line, or could be a crack in the body of the transmission. I would definitely get under it to see where it is coming from.
Welcome to the forum!!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by P343
Really just depends on where the leak is. Could be a leaky pan gasket, transmission line, or could be a crack in the body of the transmission. I would definitely get under it to see where it is coming from.
Welcome to the forum!!
Thanks a lot. I take it the crack in the body would be the most dangerous one I should look out for?

Old 08-29-2015, 08:35 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yes, the crack in the body of the transmission would be almost impossible to fix as they are usually cast.
There are other places that can leak but they can usually be fixed with a new gasket, line, or during a rebuild.
Worst case scenario, you put in a different transmission. Fortunately, Th350 transmissions are fairly easy to find and usually at a decent price. But it really could just be a simple case of a bad gasket!!!
When mine went in my 84 I had one in a few days and managed to get it for like 200 bucks. It took longer for me to do the swap than it did to actually find a replacement.
I, honestly, would not let a small tranny leak keep me from buying an 84 because , with a couple of friends, a good craigslist deal, and a place to work, the project can be done relatively cheaply if you are willing to get dirty and do the work yourself. I was quoted 1500 and 1700 by garages and swapped mine out myself (with some assistance) for less than 500 bucks. Was I intimidated?? You betcha!! But I got it done and back out to the track.
When discussing the price on the car, I would most definitely make an issue out of the tranny leak and see if they will come down on the price!!

Last edited by P343; 08-29-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just FYI an 84 SS didn't come with a 350 engine only the 305 h.o. Engine
Also the interior should be blue. 8th digit of vin needs to be a G to make sure it's a true SS car if that's what you are looking for.