General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen Hi Beam Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Default 7th Gen Hi Beam Issue

Hey everyone, maybe you can help me figure out the cause of a issue I discovered. My high beams won't come on when the lever/switch is pushed forward into the "on" position. The low beams, turn signals, fog lights and everything else works fine. In fact the high beams will come on if I pull the level back to just "flash" them, they just won't come on when put in the Stay On position - if that makes sense.

I checked the fuses for hi beams, they look fine. Any ideas?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Jess. Sounds like a bad multifunction switch, a common problem with gen. 6 and 7s.
Don't go cheap on the part for this one. Some of the aftermarket stuff is short lived junk.

Here's a link to an OEM on on eBay: Turn Signal Switch ACDelco GM Original Equipment Fits 06 13 Chevrolet Impala | eBay

Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Hi Jess. Sounds like a bad multifunction switch, a common problem with gen. 6 and 7s.
Don't go cheap on the part for this one. Some of the aftermarket stuff is short lived junk.

Here's a link to an OEM on on eBay: Turn Signal Switch ACDelco GM Original Equipment Fits 06 13 Chevrolet Impala | eBay
Thanks! I read others suggesting that as well.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Update. So after posting this I replaced my MFS. Initially it solved the problem, however 2-3 months later my high beams won't turn on again. Same exact problem as before. In the high beam on position there's no light on the dash and no high beams lighting up in the lamps. They both work when pulling the MFS back to flash the lights.

I thought maybe I got a crap MFS (as the above user recommended not to), so I bought a better one and alas installed it and no change in the issue.

Does anyone have thoughts? My headlight fuses all still look good.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be a dirty ground or connector or relay problem.

Here's some schematics and guides from the factory service manual for gen. 6's. I think it will be very similar if not identical for your gen.7.

Attached Thumbnails 7th Gen Hi Beam Issue-headlamp-troubleshooting.jpg   7th Gen Hi Beam Issue-headlight-power-distribution.jpg   7th Gen Hi Beam Issue-headlights-control.jpg  

Last edited by plumbob; 08-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.