General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

78 Monte with rare 4Speed V8 on Ebay : )

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 AM

very cool

Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
There's a '78 Monte on Cardomain that has a factory 4 speed in it...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/315677...et-monte-carlo

Thanks `Mike for posting/sharing (Great find),
I never knew that I would be a fan of the 78 Monte Carlo when I first joined the forum, but once I read & learned about them I fell in love with that year & models with a V8 RWD & 4-speed stick ...I really have a favorite Monte in each generation....So many different choices 4-Sure
The one you found is awesome 4-Really~>Sure

Click on picture below for video

Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
There's a '78 Monte on Cardomain that has a factory 4 speed in it...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/315677...et-monte-carlo
Gotta love seeing that shifter stick up through the floor!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM

well now i surley wish some one actualy knew what they were talking about,?? ive got a 1978 monte which is a factory four speed car and it runs and drives.but ive heard and seen so much bs on this four speed issue and have yet to get a strait answer or see any thing in writting as to how many were really made.?? the dude in canada that claims to be a monte guru says there were 1700 of these made for the year.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Default 78 Monte Factory 4 speed

Guys,
The Monte 4 speed in the photos from the CarDomain site is mine. I bought it new in December of '78 with the factory 305 and Saginaw 4 speed setup and dealer installed 3.23 gears, the 4 sp was the main reason I wanted it (I was not quite 16 at the time so my father helped out with co signing and insuring it and the sort). I still have the original trans, linkage, shifter, drive shaft and rear end. The car now has about 54,000 on it and the paint and interior are mostly original and in new condition, its been garaged sinced new. In the late '80's I found documentation in the form of GM production periodical, I no longer can find it though, that stated there were 1,719 4 speed Montes built in '78, there were also 3 speed V6 cars and then 4 speed V6 only Montes in '79. Of course there were El Caminos and Malibus also. Over 30 years of reserching these rare G bodies, I've also seen 78 - 80 Cutlass cars, Grand Prixs and even documentation of a few 1978 -80 Pontiac Gand Ams. My 4 speed Monte has always been well balanced and always a pleasure to drive, now has ZZ3 & Super T-10 in place, great set up, fun car. My wife would love for me to sell it, or the 71 Vette I bought a year ago, and I can maybe be talked into it if the price were right and I knew it would go into someone's collection that would treat her right and appreciate it for what it is. I can't bear the thought of it going to an 18 year old that would soon trash it. This car has been attracting attention since new while gassing up or just cruising down the street. I've won numerous trophys from Super Chevy and other regional shows and have thouroughly enjoyed being its keeper for now going on 34 years. The build sheet posted on my CarDomain site was found under the back seat... enjoy... and let me know if you have questions.

Last edited by Monte ZZ3 Factory 4 Speed; 02-13-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Welcome to the site! As you can see, your car became a minor celebrity around here.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Welcome Monte ZZ3. That's a really nice car you have. you should Make an introduction thread in the new member area so everyone sees it. Just copy and paste all that info. Also post pics when you can.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM

I'm a bit late to the party as well, but I found this thread because I was once too a driver of a 1978 Monte Carlo with a 305 2-barrel and a factory 4-speed (cast iron Saginaw). I bought mine when I was 17, in November of 1985. It was a strangely optioned car - white exterior with camel vinyl interior - bucket seats and no console. It had the F-41 (whatever code it was - sway bars and stiff springs) suspension, with wire hubcaps. Factory tires were 205/70/14. No A/C. I promptly blacked out the grill and headight buckets, removed the stick-on Monte Carlo emblems and installed an old set of Appliance slotted aluminum rims with Goodyear Blue Streak police tires. I installed a Crane cam, an old GM 4 barrel intake and Quadrajet, advance curve kit in the distributor, mounted a tach in the dash in place of the clock, installed cheap headers and my dad built a 2 1/4" dual exhaust for it. I drove it for a few years - mostly summers when I was home from college - and pulled the body off to repair the rusted body mounts in the back - that was about 1991. It's been sitting in a dairy barn since 1994 totally disassembled. The time has slipped away.... I have a 5.0 Mustang and a '70 Chevelle big block, amongst a few other garage dwellers and I think that overall, that Monte Carlo would have outperformed both of them - it certainly handled better and when I woke up the 305, it was a pretty strong street contender. The looks I got chirping the tires when up and down shifting were classic. I really miss those days.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 AM

Hi Collins & Welcome to the MCF,
Thanks for your post & information. Do you have any pictures to post of your Monte Carlo ? If so, please share.
What cars do you have now ? Please post & let us know.

Look forward to your future posts.

EnJoy the MCF

Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Default its slightly true

i also have a two door cupe 78 monte carlo and it is a factory made 4 speed manual. i have the paper work but im not sure how many were mad

Quick Reply: 78 Monte with rare 4Speed V8 on Ebay : )