General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

3400 CAI help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Default 3400 CAI help

Hello, I'm looking for a cold air intake for my 01 Monte Carlo LS. I have seen the WizAired intakes but can't find them anymore. I don't want to make my own either. There's one from Milzy that i found and one for $66 but it's for the grand am so idk if it will work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are the links:

MMS Cold Air Intake - Milzy Motorsports

99-05 Pontiac Grand AM / Oldsmobile Alero 3.4L V6 Cold Air Intake - Blue

If you know of any other ones please tell me, otherwise this is all I've found. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:13 AM

Well if you like the wizaired, check out CAI inc.. https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...-carlo/v6-3-8l
But those are very expensive..

Can I ask why you dont want to build your own?? Its the best option in my opinion..

I like milzy's products and always recommend his stuff but (and i hate saying this) his intake isnt the best.. Its kinda ugly tbh..

That one from protuninglab is whats called a hot air intake.. Your stock intake is better than that one.. You want an intake that is either built like your stock intake OR an intake that goes down into the fender or bumper..

Im gonna go take a picture of mine so you can see what you could possibly build yourself for about 50 dollars..

Old 07-15-2017, 09:19 AM

3400 CAI help-img_20170715_082630.jpg

Its simply 1 60* elbow, 1 90* elbow, 1 18" straight piece, and couplers..

You would need 2 more couplers to add the MAF into it somewhere but its just as simple AND you get the "I did it myself" credit.. Add the filter into that of course..

Old 07-15-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Attachment 19347

Its simply 1 60* elbow, 1 90* elbow, 1 18" straight piece, and couplers..

You would need 2 more couplers to add the MAF into it somewhere but its just as simple AND you get the "I did it myself" credit.. Add the filter into that of course..
The picture is blurry so i can't see it very well but this does seem like a good option. I thought it would be more complicated. Is there any tutorials out there on how to make one? Is yours a fender well intake or more by the bumper?

Old 07-15-2017, 12:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know if the kit from Protuning will fit, as it is made for a Grand Am and you may find some differences with a W vs N body fitment. But it might be universal enough. Regardless, I have reservations on those kits most of the time, because they are usually a think steel tube with no coating to protect it from heat (metal moves heat very fast, rubber and plastic move heat slower, which makes the stock intake attractive). The advantage this kit would give is relocating the air filter.

The kit from Milzy you might be able to build yourself (the tubing looks like air tubing Summit Racing sells for air cooling your brakes, you can buy a large quantity of it and cut to fit).

ZZP still sells the Wizaird:
https://zzperformance.com/3800/air-i...on-system.html

I have a Wizaird and I have seen the CAI (Cold Air Inductions) intake in person. I personally feel it's lame for what you pay on a Wizaird and the PCM and lid are held in with bungee cords. The CAI has a nicer look and finish, a better latching method.
You may need to contact both vendors and find if their kits will fit a 3400 (I believe someone here took a Wizaird for a 3800 and fit it to a 3400 without an issue).

Another route you can take, gut your air box. This will give it a larger opening to inhale fresh air on the existing panel filter. If you look in the FWD Tech info section, there is a thread stickied about cheap 3400 mods, info about gutting the air box is in there.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I don't know if the kit from Protuning will fit, as it is made for a Grand Am and you may find some differences with a W vs N body fitment. But it might be universal enough. Regardless, I have reservations on those kits most of the time, because they are usually a think steel tube with no coating to protect it from heat (metal moves heat very fast, rubber and plastic move heat slower, which makes the stock intake attractive). The advantage this kit would give is relocating the air filter.

The kit from Milzy you might be able to build yourself (the tubing looks like air tubing Summit Racing sells for air cooling your brakes, you can buy a large quantity of it and cut to fit).

ZZP still sells the Wizaird:
https://zzperformance.com/3800/air-i...on-system.html

I have a Wizaird and I have seen the CAI (Cold Air Inductions) intake in person. I personally feel it's lame for what you pay on a Wizaird and the PCM and lid are held in with bungee cords. The CAI has a nicer look and finish, a better latching method.
You may need to contact both vendors and find if their kits will fit a 3400 (I believe someone here took a Wizaird for a 3800 and fit it to a 3400 without an issue).

Another route you can take, gut your air box. This will give it a larger opening to inhale fresh air on the existing panel filter. If you look in the FWD Tech info section, there is a thread stickied about cheap 3400 mods, info about gutting the air box is in there.

Thanks. I'm thinking about just getting the filter without tubing because on the 3400 engines, the maf sensor is in the tubing. So just a new air intake filter and the box would work well i think. Any thoughts?

Old 07-15-2017, 01:05 PM

Like what this guy did:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/r8gv47.jpg

Old 07-15-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
because they are usually a think steel tube with no coating to protect it from heat (metal moves heat very fast, rubber and plastic move heat slower, which makes the stock intake attractive).
I forgot to mention, the intake tubing I have is made of a temp resistant insulation plastic.. My intake temps are same as outside..

Originally Posted by Josh01LS
Thanks. I'm thinking about just getting the filter without tubing because on the 3400 engines, the maf sensor is in the tubing. So just a new air intake filter and the box would work well i think. Any thoughts?
Honestly, if its not the wizaired or almost identical, its going to be considered a hot air intake.. You dont want that..

Originally Posted by Josh01LS
Like what this guy did:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/r8gv47.jpg
Its a nice looking mod to the stock airbox but still going to be sucking in hot air.. If you can kinda block off the top, bottom, and sides so it gets air from directly behind the headlight, youll be ok..

The whole "adding the MAF to the intake line" is WAY more intimidating that it seems.. Your MAF is 3.5" iirc.. You just need two couplers that are 3.5" into whatever size pipe you get.. Then the intake temp sensor can be placed in one of the couplers so you dont need to drill into the intake piping..