General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

3.5 from hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Default 3.5 from hell

ok so as some of you know if had a leak on my engine in the back. i finally took it to a dealer, if you can call it that, on last monday. lol heres where its gets funny.

serpantini chevy is the worst dealer that ive ever been to and do not recomend them.
they told me that i had "normal seapage" coming from one of the gaskets, and tied to charge me for wasting there time. after some i got it knocked off.

ron marhaufer is a great reputable dealer.
so i go to another dealer for a second opinon and they tell me that i have a blown head gasket. its going to take 3 days to fix and there going to fix the gaskets, check for other accociated problems, flush my coolant, and change my oil. i have a 09 malibu for the moment.

so my question is what do i do to serpantini??? do i call the bbb or chevy customer service and complain.???

my first thought was to cause a scene but i want to affect them over this, and think its absolute bs.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:20 PM

i know just another sob story, but i was about to trade it in if the second dealer told me there was nothing wrong. its just funny how some uphold the gm warranty and some dont. i bet this kind of thing happens every day unoticed or cared about. its sad.

btw the only thing i like about the malibu is the center console, it slides forward to adjust to your elbow.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

freaking bizarre dude, wtf, not what I was wanting to see with your sweet monte!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 PM

the 3.5 is a real reliable engine, yaaaa i just learned that its based off the 3.1 that i used to have that was known for bad gaskets. ok it all makes sense now. "normal seapage" maybe itll seal itself.

me neither. does anybody know what other problems this causes, so i can ask them to chck out some other problems. thank god it was free.

mamonte said his water pump was leaking coolant. did yours go on the ground or to the wrong place.

i want to know the coulprit of this so it doesnt happen at 60 thousand.[33 right now]

i know this place seems nice, but this should have been caught with the supposibe pressure test that i had done b4. it seems to me like dealers like to half *** the fix instead of doing it right, in hopes to have something break just out of warranty that should of been fixed a long time b4.

Last edited by mak330; 05-04-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You ever flush your dexcool, or are you sitting with the same stuff that it was sold with?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:57 PM

same stuff but its basicly new, cause ive had to add a cup/month since ive owned it. and yes ive had it looked at b4.

so i just called the crappy dealer today and told them what i thought of theier service. the guy was basicly really nice the whole time, im speaking my mind.
its not like im going to get anything out of it, but im going to call the bb or chevy customer service and complain. its just funny how one dealer cares and another doesnt.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Good, give them an earful.
That's what customer support SHOULD be. Especially if it falls within warranty.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 PM

i had a simular problem with a dealer not wanting to tuch mine. i found anouther dealer they fixed it and the dealer that i found told me if it is out of warrenty and anouther problem arises they will cut every thing in half or more. to help with caust they told me they rather have custimers happy then pissed. i know where your coming from i think it is messed up one dealer do not wantr to do any thing anouther will fix it and makes you feel welcom and willing to bend over backwards. call chevy's custimer service they need to know about what happened to you.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

That sucks! I'm at 113K right now, and never had any gasket failures. You are not the first person who has said they've had a head gasket replaced on a 3500/3900. However, I don't hear about it that often, and i've read that GM fixed the problem in the new generation of engines. (obviously you still had the problem, but I think way fewer 3500/3900 engines suffer this problem than the 3100/3400 engines).

Yes, I did have my water pump replaced at 63K but it was definitely the water pump, it was literally leaking right from the water pump. Ever since that was replaced, my car does not use a single drop of coolant, the level is always the same.

I also change my Dex-Cool about every 25K. The first time I flushed my coolant was at 20,000 miles, and jello like sludge came out of my coolant tank. Ever since then, it has been pretty clean. I think there is something about the factory fill Dex-Cool, and I highly recommend flushing very early in the cars life.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Also, I forgot to mention, you should call GM customer support, and tell them what happend at the other dealer. If you did pay ANYTHING, I would demand that GM give you compensation for it. But if you didn't pay anything, I would at least call and tell them about the crap they put you through.

Quick Reply: 3.5 from hell