General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

3.4L sluggish until 3K RPM's??

Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Default 3.4L sluggish until 3K RPM's??

Hello everyone. I have a '01 with the 3.4L I'm noticing when on the throttle moderately, the engine acts sluggish until about the 3K rpm mark, then it wakes up and takes off like it just got a hit of nitrous. It's not shifting or anything like that. Makes it seem like a throttle position sensor or something of the sort?

Anyone heard of this issue? I guess i'm not really sure if it's an issue or not? But it's unusual.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by firecat_freak
Hello everyone. I have a '01 with the 3.4L I'm noticing when on the throttle moderately, the engine acts sluggish until about the 3K rpm mark, then it wakes up and takes off like it just got a hit of nitrous. It's not shifting or anything like that. Makes it seem like a throttle position sensor or something of the sort?

Anyone heard of this issue? I guess i'm not really sure if it's an issue or not? But it's unusual.
It could be something as simple as the inline Fuel Filter, ( replace every 50K) and sometimes the Catalytic Converter will go bad and do this, but it will also reduce all acceleration.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:32 AM

I thought the fuel filter was in the gas tank on this machine?

Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by firecat_freak
I thought the fuel filter was in the gas tank on this machine?
There could be. However find the fuel lines from the tank to the engine and maybe about midway up on the passenger side you might see a part that looks like a small Can, if so that could be it. it will have fittings on each end.
Check youtube for these items also could be what you need.

Search this Thread