General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

5th Gen ('95-'99): Tire wear on rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Default Tire wear on rear tires

Anyone had a problem with the rear tires wearing on the inside? Tires have never been on the front but have wear like camber is off! Outside of tread looks normal however the inside is bald.
Tires are Goodyear Eagles. Had to replace expensive tires. Front tires wear even, no issues with front.
98 Monte Carlo LS.
Thank you.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:07 PM

When was the last time you had the alignment checked?

I've got about 100k on my 5th gen (and probably another 500k across a bunch of 2nd Gen wbodys) and have not had that issue on stock suspension.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
When was the last time you had the alignment checked?

I've got about 100k on my 5th gen (and probably another 500k across a bunch of 2nd Gen wbodys) and have not had that issue on stock suspension.
I'll have to play dumb on that one, didn't realize the rear needed alignment. I have owned the car since new. I had the rear bearings serviced and lubed with Amsoil grease as I also had the front done. My suspension is bone stock like the rest of the car. I purchased my Monte Carlo new.

I do hear a clunk in the rear when I let off the brakes after stopping otherwise all seems normal. I have over 230K highway miles and I used to travel a lot in my job. Now I'm retired and go fishing a lot!

Old 09-08-2016, 05:38 PM

There isn't a lot of adjuability in the stock rear suspension, but an alignment shop can certainly check it to give you the readings. Being that youve got so many miles and you're burning up tires, id bet something is bent or out of whack.

Has the car ever been wrecked?

If they can't get it back to factory specs, there are options (mostly by buying aftermarket parts that allow adjustability), but it's something you should do the math on first to see if it makes sense. I'd hate to see you drop $500 in suspension only to keep from burning up $200 in tires, especially with the mileage on the car since you may not go through that many more tire sets before the car is just worn out.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 09-08-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:58 PM

The car has never been wrecked or used as a Dukes Of Hazzard jumper. Mostly freeway driving. I also go real slow over speed bumps. Never ran over curbs.
I'm slow mo, only had the rear brakes done once and 3 times on the front. Never had the tranny worked on but I have the fluid changed every 50K miles.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Well that was unusual?
I made a comment and the post didn't include it?

Anyway when you get a chance get an all wheel alignment. New tires get from some one who will balance and rotate every 5K.
A bad rear tire starts as a waap, waap sound in the rear.

Last edited by drivernumber3; 09-09-2016 at 03:31 AM. Reason: original post was blank
Old 09-11-2016, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Well that was unusual?
I made a comment and the post didn't include it?

Anyway when you get a chance get an all wheel alignment. New tires get from some one who will balance and rotate every 5K.
A bad rear tire starts as a waap, waap sound in the rear.
Actually the passenger rear tire developed a waap waap sound after about 6 months so I took it back to the dealer and he said nothing was wrong with the tire.

So I had the rear wheel bearings replaces and lubed with Amsoil grease but the waap waap still was there. I took the car back to the tire dealer and he said he inspected the tire and nothing was wrong with it.

I think he was an idiot! Months later is when the steel belt ripped lose and it made a big waap waap waap and that's when I found the tire had a big bulge in the inside of the tread, it wore down to the steel belt. Tire never blew and it still had air. Maybe because I drive my Monte slow and careful.

I have a 65 Ford F-100 that's my hot rod with a big pumped up 390, 4 speed and posi that's fast and loud and does burn-outs well. I take it to car shows and an occasional stop light to stop light drag race. just for fun.
That's how I relieve my pent up old man driving.

I love my Monte and use my truck for my hot rodding fun!

Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Yep, I quit buying tires from the local dealers.
Everytime I had a problem they said nothing was wrong or if I had to have it adjusted I could have purchased a new one. So I get mine at Sam's club. Back in 2002 I was traveling with my Car for a Sales rep job. I had a tire split from the side wall. Lucky I was at the Hotel overnite when this occurred and it was just flat. The next morning the local service station put on a used tire for me to limp home on. He said I should get it adjusted. Well Sam's club replaced the tire and It only cost me the new road hazard warranty and a Valve stem. The tire and mounting was no Charge.

What I would surmise from your description of the issue is the alignment was off significantly and the tire wore really bad. Kind of cupped. This same issue happened to a friend of mine. She had an 09 Impala.
The tires had very little miles on them.
I had recommended to her she have the alignment done, she never listened to me. Then she called and told me what happened to her tires and I said why didn't the dealer recommend an alignment? Who knows?