General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 3.4L LS Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 3.4L LS Dual Exhaust

So after much research of the different options for exhaust, I finally narrowed it down and ordered the things to fix a CEL, and add a little aesthetic to the back end of the Monte.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-23433

ZZPerformance - ZZP Monte Carlo Catback #ZZ-MCCB

The only thing I'm having trouble finding is the factory exhaust hanger for the driver side. I thought I recently saw a site that them for sale, but after looking at all the performance sites I couldn't find it again, and also none of the GM parts sites seem to have them. And on top of that, I went to the junk yard and got some of the things I was looking for to do some minor upgrades, but the car I found already had the driver hanger taken off of it. Someone had the same idea I did :-) So if anyone knows a site that has the hangers, or knows what other cars have the same driver hanger, any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:36 PM

are you doing a true dual exhaust from the front to the back? or just a Y pipe?

Old 05-07-2015, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingWord
Just a Y pipe. I'm not going for a real performance upgrade, beings the fact it's a 3400. But the exhaust hanger is proving hard to find, I'll keep looking for the hanger at the junk yards, but I'm not opposed to buying a new one if someone has some info on where I can get one.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

Chevrolet Genuine Factory Part

Fits 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS

Part Number: 10056770

Old 05-07-2015, 05:21 PM

well there you go lol...thanks to our awesome Super moderator...Barbara saved the day...but yea small parts on older vehicles are hard to find,especially clips an such

Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

And if what Barbara found is not good enough, here's one other resource

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...m-parts-28933/

Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member

Contacted ZSPOT from the above post to see if he could find the parts. If that doesn't work I'll see if GMPartsdirect has them, but when you search by make-model-year the parts are no longer available. Also I ordered from GMPartsonline.com (that had them listed with price and description) but got an email short after that they were gonna refund the amount because he parts were not available, even though they're still listing the parts.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by dsanford3198
So after much research of the different options for exhaust, I finally narrowed it down and ordered the things to fix a CEL, and add a little aesthetic to the back end of the Monte.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-23433

ZZPerformance - ZZP Monte Carlo Catback #ZZ-MCCB

The only thing I'm having trouble finding is the factory exhaust hanger for the driver side. I thought I recently saw a site that them for sale, but after looking at all the performance sites I couldn't find it again, and also none of the GM parts sites seem to have them. And on top of that, I went to the junk yard and got some of the things I was looking for to do some minor upgrades, but the car I found already had the driver hanger taken off of it. Someone had the same idea I did :-) So if anyone knows a site that has the hangers, or knows what other cars have the same driver hanger, any help would be much appreciated.
Why not just get an SS y-pipe and put mufflers on?

Originally Posted by KingWord
That would be pointless, would have to have a custom crossover and such and would have to run 2" pipe so that you'd have any low end torque lol

Old 05-08-2015, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by red04montels
Why not just get an SS y-pipe and put mufflers on?

That would be pointless, would have to have a custom crossover and such and would have to run 2" pipe so that you'd have any low end torque lol
I treat my vehicles by the rule of, if it needs replaced, it's getting upgraded. Even though getting a Y pipe from an SS would be cheaper, there's no way of telling how long an OEM pipe would hold up if a used one was welded in. Especially with the state that I live in (Kansas) with the salt and chemicals they use on the road during the winters.

Edit: also forgot to mention the resonator is rusted out on my Monte, that's the other reason for the catback upgrade.

Last edited by dsanford3198; 05-08-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Factory exhausts here near Cleveland Ohio seem to hold up pretty well, but there are always exceptions.

I would say ditch the resonator and install a piece of straight pipe. On a 3400, upgrade to the SS Y-pipe and dual mufflers would be perfect. If you are going for performance, deleting the resonator is about your best bet on a stock 3400, everything else is mostly show at that point.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): 3.4L LS Dual Exhaust