General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2004 Dale Jr. SS Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not to burst anyone's bubble. But "regular" Dale Jr editions (like mine) pop up on ebay and small car lots quite often. And everytime, the seller thinks they have automotive gold. Truth is, they are a hard sell. And Dale signs a lot of things.

For your sake, I hope the signature does add value to it. But with 2,883 of these cars made, it's going to be a very long time before any of them are worth anything significant. They'll keep dropping in price before they go up. It could be another 20 years or more before they become valuable.

In comparison... Jeff Gordon held annual signings for the 2003 Jeff Gordon editions every year since 2003. Every time he signs another one, it lowers the value of the other ones he signed.

Dale didn't do annual signings though. So hopefully yours is one of vefy few he actually signed.

My advice is to enjoy the car the way you see fit. But don't expect it to be your retirement plan.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

KBB values it at 8.5k?!?! The bank/insurance values my monte at 8k. Thats an 02 that I bought at 116k miles. This thing is brand new and has no miles. I saw a 200 mile intimidator go for original sticker price not too long ago. The buyer does set the value but this isnt a car, this is a collector piece, applying kbb value to a car like this is a joke, to the right buyer this thing is priceless. Might be worth a tad more today than it was yesterday too

Kbb is a great marker when buying or selling a DD, but the value of this car is more than driving a car. No one says that the Mona Lisa is worth $50 beacuse its some pigment and oils thrown on to a canvas stretched across a wood frame. I know thats a stretch but the point is, Kbb value is based on if you are using the thing, no one is looking to paint over the Mona Lisa.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 PM

i agree with some things said here. and also dont agree with some of it. I have a jeff gordon edition. i bought it about 6 years ago with only 42k on it. I paid 12k for the car. the current book value is only about 6k. kinda sux to see money go like that but its a fun car to own and a total ***** magnet. the car got me laid the very first week i owned it! Now thats incentive to buy! LOL

And just for info sake..... the jeff gordon signing is no longer offered i believe. and it was a pool thing. you sent in an application and each year only 25 cars were selected.
BUT... you took the car to hendrick motorsports, they bring them inside the building and line them up. then you get to meet jeff and his dad. and you get a pic of jeff with you and your car. he signs the dash board on the passenger side above the glove box near the emblem on the right side.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Viperpit
but its a fun car to own and a total ***** magnet. the car got me laid the very first week i owned it! Now thats incentive to buy! LOL
Hell yeah! This car has made me pretty lucky twice. But may also be the reason my ex left me haha.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM

This car was bought from the dealership and brought home. It's only had one owner. Like I said, I'm not looking to sell right now, just trying to see what it's worth right now. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree that KBB is mainly used for daily drivers. I'm glad you're intent on keeping it. These are fun cars to drive.

Basically what I'm saying is this. It's going to be a long time before our Dale Jr editions start appearing on the Barret-Jackson collector car auction. Since there are so many still around. And still very plentiful.

When it does become a collector's item, you'll have the advantage of having his actual signature. Providing he doesn't go signing about a thousand of them before then. But I don't see that happening.

My advice to everyone considering any of the driver editions has always been to not buy it with ideas of it becoming an instant collector's item. There were simply too many of them made. It will take at least 30 years or more before they are VERY valuable. Just enjoy the car for what it is. By all means, keep it in great shape. Take it to shows and meets. Drive it in good weather on weekends. But if you want a car just to stare at, and never drive it, buy the scale model.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If you live in Florida it might be worth more right now after his win

Old 02-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
KBB values it at 8.5k?!?! The bank/insurance values my monte at 8k. Thats an 02 that I bought at 116k miles. This thing is brand new and has no miles. I saw a 200 mile intimidator go for original sticker price not too long ago. The buyer does set the value but this isnt a car, this is a collector piece, applying kbb value to a car like this is a joke, to the right buyer this thing is priceless. Might be worth a tad more today than it was yesterday too

Kbb is a great marker when buying or selling a DD, but the value of this car is more than driving a car. No one says that the Mona Lisa is worth $50 beacuse its some pigment and oils thrown on to a canvas stretched across a wood frame. I know thats a stretch but the point is, Kbb value is based on if you are using the thing, no one is looking to paint over the Mona Lisa.
I understand what you're saying, but think about it, would any of us here pay alot of money for a low mile monte? We all love the car here, i doubt anyone here would. The fact that a 200 mile car sells for sticker price just means someone with money to **** away bought it and doesn't care what the price is. If your car is valued at 8k, i congratulate you sir as i highly doubt mine is valued that high.

And these aren't collector pieces, like Lou said, junior editions pop up all the time, there is just way too many cars made for it to be a collectors edition any time soon.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 PM

I am not quite sure if this will help with the 6th Gen cars, but there is also a CPI Guide...(Cars of Particular Interest) and it may be in there. This is for older cars to value them beyond your basic everyday daily driver type.

I know they have values for the 4th Gen SS cars in there!