General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2000 ls monte carlo 3400 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 PM
1 Year Member
Default 2000 ls monte carlo 3400 problems

hey guys I just joined the site but I have a problem I bouht a 2000 monte with the 3400. sharp car 90000 miles but it has some ISSUES.. engine codes to begin it has a MAF code, coolant temp code and lf and rf wheels sensors
1- its a hard start and dies if udont hit the gas at first and if you hit the gas to much at the initial acceleration.. crank sensor? MAF?
2- I just put a new coolant temp sensor on but the gague still doesn't work, althou the fans are almost constantly on as well as about 15 or so seconds after the car is off they turn off with the headlights?
3- power to my climate control functions but motor doesn't kick on and I don't hear the blend door loving either.

Really I just wanna know how to get it running althou I think its a different motor because I see a couple pig tails not hooked up on the top o the motor near the ignition con mod. id what to do maybe I can take some pics of the engine bay tomorrow to help this out but any ideas for now might help settle my stomach :/

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

the hard start is more than likely the MAF or another sensor dealing with the fuel supply and delivery (for the life of me I can't think of the name) I had the same problem with my 02 and spent a lot of money until the mechanic realized he didn't know what he was doing and called the dealer and they sent him the part and it was fixed, only positive is that he didn't charge me when he finally did fix the problem.
From the other problems listed, and your personal observation it may stand to reason that someone changed the motor, which would lead me to question if the pcm needs to be taken to a dealer and flashed? which may explain the fans not acting right.
The climate control is a fairly common problem (I've had problems in both of my monte's) and is a fairly easy and relatively cheap fix for a mechanic, or if you have the knowledge you can do it yourself, so that is not too worriesome.

Post some pics if you can