General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

06 SS pacecar

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Default RE: 06 SS pacecar

Nah I wouldn't whizz. With gas hovering at $3.00/gallon a V8 is, IMHO, very irresponsible in these times. I own a small SUV too with a big V6 in it that I'm trying to get rid of as well. It gets 20 MPG. HORRIBLE!! I won't own another one. It just isn't worth it.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 AM

I figure if anyone can afford a $20 to $30 thousand dollar car and the insurance,they can afford the gas too.My V6 Monte Carlo got around 23 to 24 MPG.My V8 gets 19 to 20 MPG.That comes out to around one totwo gallons per week extra for the V8.Believe me,when you hear and feel the power of the V8 it is worth it.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:45 AM

I have felt the V8 power and heard the sound....NOT SOLD!!! I chose an LTZ instead and get WAY better fuel mileage than 19-20.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I had the chance to own this SS, I would do it. And I'd do my BEST to keep the miles under 10k.

Then in 15 or so years I'd sell it at B/J and laugh all the way to the bank. Okay you guys know me TOO well. I'd hang on to the car till they pried it from my cold hands.

Over done or not I'd take it.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:16 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss

I figure if anyone can afford a $20 to $30 thousand dollar car and the insurance,they can afford the gas too.My V6 Monte Carlo got around 23 to 24 MPG.My V8 gets 19 to 20 MPG.That comes out to around one totwo gallons per week extra for the V8.Believe me,when you hear and feel the power of the V8 it is worth it.
[/align][align=center]`Amen[/align][align=center][:-][/align]
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
The throaty roar of the V-8 returns - but is it enough?
[:-]WoW [:-]
How far can you push (ok, pull) front-wheel drive? How about 303 horses, 5.6 seconds to 60 mph and a top end pushing 145 mph? These are the raw numbers for Chevy's updated and seriously pumped-up 2006 Monte Carlo SS coupe. Yes, it has a V-8, the first time one's been available in a Monte Carlo since the mid-1980s. And yeah, it drives the front wheels this time.
[/align][/align][align=center]Is that a problem? [/align][align=center]For the ideological purist, it's tough to get cozy with the idea of a serious performance car that isn't rear-wheel drive, like the Reagan-era '83-'88 Monte Carlo SS was. But take a turn behind the wheel; give it a chance. This '06 model makes a persuasive case for itself no matter which set of wheels happen to be laying down the rubber. Streetbound Monte Carlos have long emulated the stock-car look. This one delivers the stock-car experience. [/align][align=center]For starters, the new SS has an all-alloy 5.3 liter V-8 burbling out a stout 303 horsepower - quite an uptick from the old SS's puny (by current standards) 180-hp "high output" 5.0-liter V-8. For another, it's almost three full seconds quicker to 60 (mid-low fives vs. the mid-low eights for the '80s-era SS). And finally, there's next to no torque steer when you hammer it, thanks to equal stiffness half-shafts and an extruded aluminum engine cradle and triple engine mounts designed to limit engine flex under torque load, among other refinements. [/align][align=center]A proper front-drive burnout is both doable and enjoyable without awkward skittering left to right. [/align][align=center]We worked the SS hard at the world famous Charlotte Motor Speedway , a 1.5-mile NASCAR track where the Monte more than proved its mettle. Full-throttle from a stop it hewed straight and true, lighting up the 18-inch Goodyears as stoutly as a '70 SS 454 Monte Carlo . And it actually felt on its game banking the oval at 120-plus - impressive for a production car, front-drive, rear-drive, whatever. About the only time you get any negative feedback from the front-drive layout is when you punch it from a stop and make a hard left or right-hander; then the traction control system cuts in to keep you on an even keel and prevent any torque-induced damage to the half-shafts. [/align][align=center]Not entirely environmentally insensitive [/align][align=center]Thanks to displacement-on-demand technology, which allows the engine to operate in four-cylinder mode under light throttle/cruise-type conditions, highway fuel economy is an impressive 28 mpg. The old SS couldn't touch that rolling down a steep hill in neutral. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I love my 06 LT3 with the 3.9L, but it's no V-8 SS....You just can't beat[/align][align=center]the sound/power of a Chevy V-8. [/align][align=center][size=4]It does put a smile on your face....Take that `Cain : ) [/siz

Old 08-28-2007, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member

Did I hear Tree Hugger?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

nothing beats a v8 in my opinion, yah the 3.8 supercharged can probably be faster than the v8, but its not a v8, there's just something about owning a v8

Old 08-28-2007, 02:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: LnLSS06

Did I hear Tree Hugger?
I think Cain is just a "20%'er."

Old 08-28-2007, 02:44 PM

I just don't buy into the hype and was honestly, seriously disappointed when I drove an SS. The car itself is beautiful, but it's a Monte so what would you expect?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss

That's always going to be a question of what you do with it. My 2000 Blazer has the 4.3 V6 and that is all I need. My neighbor wouldn't have a chance with a V6 to pull his boat though.

If your just taking the kids back and forth, then all you would need is a 4, maybe a 6 for more power.

Quick Reply: 06 SS pacecar