General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

06 Monte ss t-top

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Default 06 Monte ss t-top

So Ive been think I have an 06 Monte Carlo ss with cloth seats and no sunroof so I'm thinking hmmmm never seen that but everything official, anyway im thinking about seeing about converting my roof into t-top style what's your thoughts

Old 02-24-2017, 12:36 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I am not sure if the 5th, 6th and 7th gen Montes are able to have t tops and maintain structural integrity. I'm not saying that the right fabricator couldn't make it happen but it is going to be pricey.
Hopefully someone else on here will comment with their experience/knowledge.
It would be cool to see if it can be done!!

Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 AM

I was that thinking the same exact thing at all points

Old 02-24-2017, 06:28 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Not trying to discourage you by any means because I have seen some pretty cool fabrications on vehicles.
Like I said in my previous post, you get with the right fabricator and almost anything is possible!!

Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It costs over $6,500 to do it to a 5th Gen Camaro.

I couldn't imagine the cost on a car that doesn't have a kit already R&D'd

Old 02-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Somehow, I want to say in my Internet travels I saw ONE custom Monte from 00-07 with T-tops.

I think it would be really cool, but not sure what issue might be present with structural integrity. Also, many cars with T-tops had frame-less windows on the doors, not sure if that would play into it.

No doubt if you go through with it, you can get a lot of attention, not to mention enjoy an awesome open air ride (oh.... I mis driving my '84 Camaro with the T's out)....

Old 02-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In any case let us know what you decide to do.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 PM

IMO if you really want a t top car, just buy a factory one. You can pick up a catfish camaro for a couple grand.

It's certainly possible to do, but would be horrifically expensive to do right as it would take a lot of engineering hours to design it properly. I would think without question it would cost more than the car is worth.

There are a couple big hurdles:
-The doors have an upper frame around the window. To remove that would be a redesign of the doors and the glass.
-The roof structure would need to be redesigned to redistribute the load down the center. The current single layer sheet metal would buckle if not supported.
-A t-top glass and mechanisms would either have to be adapted from an existing car or made from scratch.

If its done wrong there are a ton of potential issues: leaks, creaks, rattles, etc. It would also likely kill the resale value of the car, and could impact insurance rates. Then there's always the worst possible case, the car could be ruined during the process. I've seen too much shoddy work on much simpler projects to trust anything but a proven, high end shop for something like this.