General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

'06 Monte Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: '06 Monte Exhaust

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Depending on the type of stainless they use (there are different alloy grades) some light surface rust may develop in certain areas on stainless steel, but for the most part it will be minor, not affecting the whole structure. (aka rusting through)

From Wikipedia: "In metallurgy, stainless steel is defined as a ferrous alloy with a minimum of 10.5% chromium content.[1] The name originates from the fact that stainless steel does not stain, corrode or rust as easily as ordinary steel. This material is also called corrosion resistant steel when it is not detailed exactly to its alloy type and grade, particularly in the aviation industry."

Also, rust from non-stainless components (hangers,clamps, bolts, etc) can form on a stainless part that it contacts, making it appear that the stainless is rusting.

Mine have some light surface rust that I'm looking forward to removing by either polishing the tips on the car right now, or getting replacement exhaust tips to cover it up. Speaking of tips, anyone have pictures of exhaust tips on their Monte? I was hoping to research some different styles, rolled edge straight cut vs straigh edge slash cut vs etc etc.
Being from LA and an older guy, I get tons more attention with my straight cut tips than from rolled edge tips.

This is the home of Hot Rods and Lowriders and you are judged by your car here. There are more old-time hot rodders here than anywhere else.

We have more Jaguars and Acuras per capita than any other city in the U.S. They all have rolled tipped dual exhaust and are really kind of boring to look at.

My straight-edged slant-cut $4 tips grab more attention than I ever expected. They have an old-school look and every time I go to the hand wash, someone comments on my dual-exhaust.

I don't think I would get that with the extremely common rolled-edged exhausts that 99% of the new cars have around here.

You can see the tips on my photo gallery.

https://montecarloforum.com/photo.as...=6&apage=1#

Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 06MonteSS

your stock tips have rust on them?? Hmmm.... I've had my car since 11/23/2005, this is the second winter I've been through with the car, and mine don't have any on them.... of course when I wash the car, I always make sure to wash the inside/outside of the tips and put a coat of wax on them... is that obsessive??

LTZ's don't have chrome tips like your SS

Old 03-22-2007, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer
oh yeah I forgot, that's right... it just has the tailpipe coming straight out... duh! sorry... LOL

Old 03-22-2007, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: 06MonteSS

oh yeah I forgot, that's right... it just has the tailpipe coming straight out... duh! sorry... LOL

[sm=pimp.gif] No Problemo!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:52 PM

My straight-edged slant-cut $4 tips grab more attention than I ever expected. They have an old-school look and every time I go to the hand wash, someone comments on my dual-exhaust.
$4.00 ????[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: shmedley

I bought them at a chain called Pep Boys here in L.A. They were $4 each, are about 6 inches long and they attach with 2 screws each. You can seea screw in my picture. I need to file them down or purchase shorter ones.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: shmedley

I bought them at a chain called Pep Boys here in L.A. They were $4 each, are about 6 inches long and they attach with 2 screws each. You can seea screw in my picture. I need to file them down or purchase shorter ones.
Nice! I paid 30 bucks for mine on ebay. Mine are also bolt on, and the bottom one can be seen on mine too, even though I cut the bolt as short as I could. I don't care though, it's much better than not having any on there.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was hoping to research some different styles, rolled edge straight cut vs straigh edge slash cut vs etc etc

I can posta photo or two of mine tomorrow.

I can also tell you yes there is stainless with different alloy contents but any stainless I've had contact with over the years does not rust! This includes the stainless exhaust a couple buddies have on their cars.

I was laying under the car today and tried cleaning the exhaust. A lot of stuff did come off but there's still a lot of rust that should not be if these pipes are stainless.

Either GM/Cheives idea of stainless exhaust differs a lot from mine or they used a cheap grade of stainless.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:36 AM

rj, that looks like one beast old monte. i love the older models, im trying to find a black one and make it my toy--1987 im thinking, or w/e yr they had the 5.0 with the center shifter

Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 AM

hey solara slayer....I have a question. Has your LTZ been wrecked in the rear? Your monte carlo ltz badge is set way higher than mine and stock ones. I was just curious.

Quick Reply: '06 Monte Exhaust