General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

04 Super Sport- New Brakes and a mysterious oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Default 04 Super Sport- New Brakes and a mysterious oil leak

So I got two problems, the rotors on my Monte are warped, and pretty badly. From what I read, this is a common problem for these cars, so my question is should I go with OEM rotors, or is there a good aftermarket brand I should go with?

Second, my car has a mysterious oil leak. My low oil light has come on now after my last two oil changes. Maybe a couple months after each?

I hear that it's normal to have to fill oil, but I bought this newer car so I wouldn't have annoying problems like this. The 98 ford contour I replaced didn't use ANY oil.

Is this a normal issue with these cars?

Old 08-25-2012, 01:45 AM

I found these on RockAuto, under the high performance category.

POWER STOP Part # AR8255XPR Drilled And Slotted Rotor'
Front, Pair
Price:$94.79

Drilled And Slotted Rotor Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors give you the advantages of both drilled holes for cooling and slots to sweep away gas and dust. Power Stop rotors use only the finest blanks and feature G3000 grade castings from the best foundries. All drilled and slotted rotors (except for hub rotor assemblies) are silver zinc plated to resist rust. The drilled and slotted design is our most popular performance rotor for street and day track applications.

Link:
More Information for POWER STOP AR8255XPR

Is this a good deal?

Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I have a set of these I purchased. Still haven't put them on but my rotors are warped as well so I'll be installing them soon

2 FRONT 2 REAR CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED PREMIUM PERFORMANCE BRAKE ROTORS CHEVY | eBay

Not a bad price for all 4 shipped. I believe there's a few other members here that use them? I got the link from someone here so.. lol.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 AM

That is a really great deal, almost seems too good to be true? Plus their 4 month warranty seems a little weak lol.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm a broke *** college student so I gotta balance quality with cost real carefully.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Super Sport 04
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm a broke *** college student so I gotta balance quality with cost real carefully.
Same for me haha!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:16 AM

3 Year Member

If you search around the internet, just browse "Breakmotive break reviews" or something like that. Most people like them in terms of price to safety ratio. Breaks aren't something to cheap out on I realize but they have pretty good reviews so I think you'd be safe with them

Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I didn't like my BrakeMotive

Never had an issue with Centric Performance blank rotors

Old 08-25-2012, 07:06 AM

This is something I need to do to. My rotors are awful!

With your oil leak, are you loosing oil (per the dipstick) and did you actually look around for oil leaking? Your oil level sensor in the bottom of the pan may just be going.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:44 AM

So I guess it's update time, I finally took the plunge on my rotors, ended up getting my brakes from brakeperformance.com

I found them through a post i found on this forum via search, and I got a helluva deal.

They are currently having a labor day sale, 10% off Premium dimpled and slotted brake rotors,and free brake pads, and free shipping!
Oh yeah, and a lifetime warranty

Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

Front Two Rotor Set (Black) #RB-62055
Discounted Price
$172.14

Unfortunately being in alaska, I had to still ponyup $50 for shipping, proving you can't win everything

My total ended up being $229 because of the shipping, But still almost $100 less than what NAPA wanted to sell me OEM rotors and pads.

Most of you guys however can get a pretty awesome deal for living in the lower 48.

Last edited by Super Sport 04; 09-01-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:46 AM

With regards to my oil problem, yes I am low according to the dipstick. The oil is a good ways down below the four holes.

I topped it up after a bit and that lasted a good week, but now the "Change Engine Oil" light is on x.x

I've only driven maybe 1000-1500 miles since I last had the oil changed, so this is really inconvenient.

Quick Reply: 04 Super Sport- New Brakes and a mysterious oil leak