General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: 02 monte carlo is jerking

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Default 02 monte carlo is jerking

I have a 02 monte carlo ls and it started jerking terribly bad when i would press the gas pedal yesterday but today i went and got a oil change and a 2 step fuel system cleaner and now it runs way better but it still will jerk just a lil bit. But my ? is by having throttle combustion build up can that make a car jerk or is there another problem?
I also got my car scanned and the p0443 code popped up which is the evap solenoid no. 1 control circuit malfunction
Can anyone help

Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

The oil change should be normal 3K maintenance and the fuel system can be maintained every other fill by using injector cleaner, I like the Lucas oil type, but most are good.
You may want to change the fuel filter if its never been done, do that every 25K - 35k check your air filter replace it as well do that every 6K.
Next if you have a few miles on the car, you might have some problem with the Catalytic converter, and finally the vacuum lines may be off or have a leak some place.
These are all things I used to do when the car I drove was used for Sales travel, the better the maintenance the longer she runs well.
Hope that helps

Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Kinda' sounds like a bad EVAP canister purge solenoid to me. If the solenoid sticks open it creates a vacuum leak and/or rich fuel mixture.
Do you top off your tank (keep filling after the pump automatically shuts off?) If you do it can cause charcoal from the EVAP canister to spill into and clog EVAP lines and seize the solenoid piston. The "blow through" test in the following video is not fool proof because the piston in the solenoid might only be occasionally sticking.

Here's a video explaining how it works and how to test:

Last edited by plumbob; 07-23-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
Kinda' sounds like a bad EVAP canister purge solenoid to me. If the solenoid sticks open it creates a vacuum leak and/or rich fuel mixture.
Do you top off your tank (keep filling after the pump automatically shuts off?) If you do it can cause charcoal from the EVAP canister to spill into and clog EVAP lines and seize the solenoid piston. The "blow through" test in the following video is not fool proof because the piston in the solenoid might only be occasionally sticking.

Here's a video explaining how it works and how to test:

Evap Canister Purge Valve Solenoid Operation, Diagnosis and Testing Procedure - YouTube
Thank u i have another question my car is turning over but it wont start now any suggestions

Old 07-23-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
The oil change should be normal 3K maintenance and the fuel system can be maintained every other fill by using injector cleaner, I like the Lucas oil type, but most are good.
You may want to change the fuel filter if its never been done, do that every 25K - 35k check your air filter replace it as well do that every 6K.
Next if you have a few miles on the car, you might have some problem with the Catalytic converter, and finally the vacuum lines may be off or have a leak some place.
These are all things I used to do when the car I drove was used for Sales travel, the better the maintenance the longer she runs well.
Hope that helps
Thank u i have another question my car is turning over but it wont start

Old 07-24-2016, 06:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Keyez
Thank u i have another question my car is turning over but it wont start
when you turn the key on listen for a buzz noise in the fuel tank to see if the fuel pump is alive if so you might want to check the fuel filter as it could be restricting the fuel delivery