FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Vehicle Speed Sensor Replacement

Old 07-16-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Vehicle Speed Sensor Replacement

Thanks for another fine write up NYCRISS!!!

Vehicle Speed Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the right front tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Disconnect the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) electrical connector.

Remove the VSS bolt (9).
Remove the VSS (10) from the extension case.

Remove the O-ring (11) from the VSS (10).
Installation Procedure

Install the O-ring (11) to the VSS (10).

Install the VSS (10).
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the VSS bolt (9).
Tighten

Tighten the bolt (9) to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

Connect the VSS electrical connector.
Install the right front tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Lower the vehicle

The only way to test that the VSS is operational is to have the car hooked up to a TECH II and see if the readings are accurate while in motion. An ABS light coming on and codes C1225, C1226, C1232, C1233, C1276 and/or C1277 found in the EBCM may point to the VSS as well.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Default vss

I've been trying to do this and I am having no luck at removing the sensor.
I can see and feel it but I can't attach a wrench or socket to the mounting bracket of the sensor. Does anyone know the size of the bolt that holds the bracket in place ? It is a very tight location. I'm looking at taking it to my mechanic to have this done.
Any suggestions ?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think its 10mm bolt..?

How to change speed sensor in a 2005 Monte Carlo .

Removal Procedure
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Remove the right front tire and wheel.
  3. Disconnect the sensor (VSS) electrical connector.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nascar43
I've been trying to do this and I am having no luck at removing the sensor.
I can see and feel it but I can't attach a wrench or socket to the mounting bracket of the sensor. Does anyone know the size of the bolt that holds the bracket in place ? It is a very tight location. I'm looking at taking it to my mechanic to have this done.
Any suggestions ?
What's your Monte doing that makes you think speed sensor is bad ?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

I'm kinda glad someone brought this up today. My buddy at work has an Intimidator and he took his car to Sears and was told the he has a bad wheel bearing, but it's not throwing any codes? Could it be bad without having a code displaying? Sorry for kinda thread jacking.......

Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I'm kinda glad someone brought this up today. My buddy at work has an Intimidator and he took his car to Sears and was told the he has a bad wheel bearing, but it's not throwing any codes? Could it be bad without having a code displaying? Sorry for kinda thread jacking.......
Yes. My car currently has a wheel bearing that needs replaced and I have no check light or codes.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Many times the wheel bearing will make noise while the car drives. The bearing could be bad while the ABS sensor inside is still functioning. One check you can do is jack the car up, wiggle the tire, if you have slop/play in ALL directions, safe bet is a bad bearing.

I can't remember for the life of me which way this goes, but there is a way to tell if it's a front left or right bearing. It's something like "if the noise comes around when turning the wheel left, it's the right bearing". Or I have it messed up and it's "if the noise goes away when turning the wheel left. . .".

Wheel bearings are easy if you have access to an air hammer and air impact gun. I've done at least 4 this year (1 on my friend's Grand Prix, 1 on my Monte and 2 on my wife's Impala).

Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bizparr
Yes. My car currently has a wheel bearing that needs replaced and I have no check light or codes.
cool, thanks, but how exactly do you know it is bad? Is there play in the wheel when you have the wheel off the ground (side to side, up and down)? Thanks

Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 PM

My front right bearing is bad, and it acts up when the wheel is turned to the left.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Default vss

Originally Posted by zjerry
What's your Monte doing that makes you think speed sensor is bad ?
.......the other guages are working properly. And after doing some on-line research and asking around at work; I think that this is the issue. The speedometer will act like it should for a little while, while driving but when I have to stop or shift gears ( reverse...3rd....or ingaging the OD ) the speedometer starts jerking and then just sticks. It read 30mph while parked in my driveway after a day trip one day. I've done the switch to ACC then ON then back to OFF and that works sometimes.
I've raised the front end up and removed the wheel/tire. Gotten under it and still cant remove it. I may remove the inner wheel well and see if that will help ?
Thanks guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repair Guide: Vehicle Speed Sensor Replacement