FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Mod Guide: Short Ram Intake Video Install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
It honestly doesnt make a huge difference on performance whether you have a box around it or not. There are a lot of high HP cars running a filter like that. The air is just going to get heated up in the upper intake anyway.
I agree with you when it comes to a boosted engine. But on an NA engine like that, the IAT sensor changes a lot of values in the PCM and when you get such a hot reading it pulls so much timing and really hurts the car.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
It honestly doesnt make a huge difference on performance whether you have a box around it or not. There are a lot of high HP cars running a filter like that. The air is just going to get heated up in the upper intake anyway.
Yup that stage one, stage two supposably sucks cool air from under engine bay, only to get headed up along the way.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I agree with you when it comes to a boosted engine. But on an NA engine like that, the IAT sensor changes a lot of values in the PCM and when you get such a hot reading it pulls so much timing and really hurts the car.
Not only that, but the increase in temp from the intake is far less than that of the air temp directly above the exhaust manifold. A cooler air charge has greater density. Greater density equates to greater potential for efficiency and power production.

Just my opinion, but I would extend the intake tube and build the box where the stock one was located rather than trying to enclose the filter in its current location.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM

i have the same setup but my filter is all the way towards the fender wall and i am currently in the process of mocking up a heat shield and a true ram air intake system! i also made a box for the ecu and it came out great, have louvers in it also so it will not over heat.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 PM

Just got done fiberglassing a box. Im lettin it dry and next weekend im gonna bondo it up nice and sand then paint with either plasti dip for insulation . Or high temp paint just for the look

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 PM

all you need now is two more kits and a couple silicone couplers to run that sucker into the wheel well.

all in all, not bad for 75 bucks, if you bought 3 kits. however, you could probably get an exhaust shop to weld you up one that goes to the wheel well for about the same cost. honestly, i have no idea how much they would charge, but 75-100 for a custom 4 or 5 inch pipe to the wheel well would be what i would pay.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM

i just put a "ram air" tube on the front of mine, going down to the inner side of the bumper. purchasing a front plenum that i will paint black and either put it on the bottom of the bumper, towards the driver side wheel (there is a section that i will have to cut into, but will fit great) or i might buy a filler piece for the liscense plate and put the plenum right in the middle of that (because i live in the great state of new york [notice my sarcasm] i have to buy a hide away liscense plate kit from pfyc.com $144.00 and it comes with a remote for your keychain to hide/show your liscense plate.) and if you do want to do this "plenum ram air intake" i must ask that you do not drive your car in normal to heavy rain or snow, because as your driving 55-135 mph on the highway, water will get into your intake, meaning INTERNAL RUST. kind of like internal bleeding for humans LOL. to bad we cant rebuild ourselves if this happens haha.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM

what is the best CAI Settup ?????

Old 09-01-2012, 03:57 PM

Nice DIY Video but after seeing this, I think I will stick with the stock instead....

Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM

it just makes the 3400 sound like a small v8 well the way i did mine it does!

Quick Reply: Mod Guide: Short Ram Intake Video Install.