FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Permanent Cabin Air Filter Water Problem Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 10:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The PDF was a result of issues from PhotoBucket changing their terms of service. The pics were all borrow from a Grand Prix site, but everything mentioned is the same with a Grand Prix/Impala/Monte. I did this mod on both my Monte and my ex-wife's Impala. It is a 10 minute job, what needs "modified" is very obvious when you take the cowl cover off (a piece of plastic that hangs down). As for the pics being blurry, not sure what to say about that, they all appear clear for me both in the thread and the PDF. The clarity may be a monitor and/or a printer issue. Since no one here is the original owner of the pics, not sure they can be improved.
The piece that is added is for a newer W-body car (so it was not designed for the 00-05 Monte, but came from a car like a 06-07 Monte).

My guess, the glass shop won't want anything to do with this (you can always ask). Even though they may have to remove the cowl coverings, they should not be working with the water deflector. And even if they are, since GM has no bulletin about this fix, they are most likely not going to want to do anything that involves modifying the car (even though this is a solid and reliable fix). As for water leaks, you may want clarification on that warranty. My guess is that it will only cover leaks related to the windshield itself (that the sealant/adhesive they use to mount the new windshield will not leak). This won't cover failure of original parts that are on the car.

Old 11-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Some good news, I may not have the pics, BUT I did make a PDF of this posting incase something happened. I edited post #1 and uploaded the PDF. No point in loosing the pics and good info if we don't have to.
Ooops, you said right here you had made a PDF copy and uploaded that...Sometimes I feel so incredibly blonde. I'm dishwater blonde and originally from CA...but does that exuse me being a moron? I think not.

Old 11-02-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
The PDF was a result of issues from PhotoBucket changing their terms of service. The pics were all borrow from a Grand Prix site, but everything mentioned is the same with a Grand Prix/Impala/Monte. I did this mod on both my Monte and my ex-wife's Impala. It is a 10 minute job, what needs "modified" is very obvious when you take the cowl cover off (a piece of plastic that hangs down). As for the pics being blurry, not sure what to say about that, they all appear clear for me both in the thread and the PDF. The clarity may be a monitor and/or a printer issue. Since no one here is the original owner of the pics, not sure they can be improved.
The piece that is added is for a newer W-body car (so it was not designed for the 00-05 Monte, but came from a car like a 06-07 Monte).

My guess, the glass shop won't want anything to do with this (you can always ask). Even though they may have to remove the cowl coverings, they should not be working with the water deflector. And even if they are, since GM has no bulletin about this fix, they are most likely not going to want to do anything that involves modifying the car (even though this is a solid and reliable fix). As for water leaks, you may want clarification on that warranty. My guess is that it will only cover leaks related to the windshield itself (that the sealant/adhesive they use to mount the new windshield will not leak). This won't cover failure of original parts that are on the car.
Oh, I didn't mean to complain about the pictures, I think I just need to reduce my zoom to less than the standard 100%, that'll take the blur out. I also was (and am) confused as to whether this thread is uploaded ifrom a PDF format, or if there's a link to the PDF format. I have PDF on this computer. Tha would likely solve the pictures for me, as well, as you've said you could get them clearly in both formats. Definitely not bitching, I swear, I'm SOOOO grateful for this! I'd been concerned, hearing of this leak before in a review somewhere...here is how I got to this thread and why I thought perhaps if this happened, I'd get the leak.

"Originally Posted by Glen01SS
Hi Karen,

Welcome to the Forum.

You shouldn't have any issue with the windshield but review this guide and consider adding this part if it hasn't been already. After my windshield was replaced, the passenger floor would get wet when it rained because the cowl cover didn't seal to the new windshield. I don't think the cowl cover is available anymore but this part still was a month ago. I just put one on and had no leaks in yesterday's heavy rain."

I"m certain you're correct, I did ask them, and they said what you said, their warranty is for the glass installation, if a leak occurs after and it wasn't from their seal on the windshield, it's not under warranty and they would send me to a body shop. This makes sense to me. I guess my fear over here is what happened with Glenn01SS' replacement.

"

Old 11-02-2019, 10:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's late, so I may not be reading things correctly. I am not sure if you found or did not find the PDF. If needed, the PDF is attached to the first post in this thread. Here is what should be a direct link to that PDF:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/at...eak-repair.pdf

Old 04-03-2024, 07:37 PM

Actually needed this and great wright up, but after exhausting all search options this part is almost unavailable. If it can be found it is upwards of 65$ plus shipping.
I found 1 at a Chevy dealership in Canada for 65+35$ shipping....

​​