FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Info: Many Exhaust Questions Answered 3800 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My SSAC headers seemed to give me a bit of power, better low end mainly, or its just ment. Sounds beastly too.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 PM

now whats that crossover pipe for?? do you still have that if you have aftermarket headers?? whats the difficulty level on installing aftermarket headers??
and a question for enzo354 what motor do you have??

Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

now whats that crossover pipe for?? do you still have that if you have aftermarket headers??
A crossover pipe brings the exhaust from the front 3 cylinders and dumps it either into the rear header- or into a Y collector with the other branch coming from the rear 3 cylinders.

Obviously you still have to use it with aftermarket headers- where else are you going to run the exhaust from the front 3 cylinders?

whats the difficulty level on installing aftermarket headers??
It can be a real pain- its somewhat of a struggle getting the new headers in position- and depending on the headers- each style seems to have its own stumbling blocks and problems (for example- the pacesetter headers for the 3800's having a leakage issue and needing welded on the Y collector).

Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 PM

oh okay thanks, but what if i decide to go the route of true duals?? will i still need to use the cross over pipe?? no right?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

You can't go true duals on a sideways motor with no room to run any piping.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 PM
15 Year Member

oh okay thanks, but what if i decide to go the route of true duals?? will i still need to use the cross over pipe?? no right?
Well, yeah- you still do need some sort of cross over pipe- you still need some way to get the front 3 cylinders over the transmission and to your downpipe area.

It kinda depends how your headers are designed though- for example, the pacesetter headers for the 3800 runs each bank of cylinders into a single tube- and then combines the two front and rear tubes in a Y in the downpipe area. Thats why people tend to use those headers for doing true duals, because they alreay have two separate pipes halfway down the downpipe area- so all you need are two custom shorty downpipes, and then the rest of the exhaust which any exhaust shop could do.

However, I really don't recommend true duals- you add a ton of extra weight for no power gain- especially on a nearly stock car. You can still go much bigger than stock on a single exhaust (I mean heck, they make up to 4" single exhaust tubing and components) than your engine would ever need- I mean the Supra guys are doing 1000whp on single 4" exhaust with a 6 cylinder.

You can't go true duals on a sideways motor with no room to run any piping.
You can, and it has been done. I've seen at least 3 people with true dual wbodys posted on the various forums.

The only thing is- I haven't seen any that had cat's- so it would be hard to do in an emissions testing area. Two of the setups I saw were rear outlet with just mufflers at the rear- the other one was side exhaust- forget what he did for mufflers.

The thing is, doing a true dual you can go much smaller on the piping size. Obviously some pipe hangs down below the floor board- but so do all people with side pipes, people with cutouts, etc etc. I mean there are people that daily drive with side pipes on wbodys- and the whole pipe is hanging below the floor pan and is running almost perpendicular to any objects in the roadway that may hit it.

I really always have dreamed of doing true duals on my GXP- just so it doesn't sound like a truck through the single exhaust.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 AM

I'm looking for advice on how to make my 02 monte ss sound nice (deep, powerful, masculine, strong) without being too loud. I only want a little sound. Can someone suggest a few ideas please?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Also... Can someone please give me advice on K&N cold air intake system? I'm very interested and want to know more about it. Best and cheapest place to buy the system, advantages to the system, easy do it yourself? Thanks!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by chevymontess
Also... Can someone please give me advice on K&N cold air intake system? I'm very interested and want to know more about it. Best and cheapest place to buy the system, advantages to the system, easy do it yourself? Thanks!
It's terrible, the heat shield is a joke, there is no cheap place to buy it, it sounds good (only advantage) very easy to do first mod.

zzperformance.com sells one called the wizaired, much better.

coldairinductions.com actually has one for the 3800 now, and looks like a really good system too.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM

thanks a lot bud. so you really think k&n isnt worth the money? i really appreciate your advice but i love the way the k&n sounds and its almost an automatic 13+hp. what should i do?

Quick Reply: Info: Many Exhaust Questions Answered 3800 Engine