FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Guide: How to remove your dash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Great vid! A lot easier to follow than written directions. I need to tackle this project in the spring, as I have a stock head unit bulb burnt out and would like to have them all replaced.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
Outstanding!!!... This now gives me the confidence to DIY and leave a few more bucks in my pocket (for other mods...lol...)...
Sounds good ha any other things that You need to know how to do? I can make another video on whatever you want, it won't be for two weeks tho because that's when I see my car next

Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM

this video was very helpful! I have a video request(if i'm allowed to give one?) which i think would be helpful to a lot of people. if you made one of you opening the gauge cluster and taking the needles off and putting them back on correctly that would be extremely helpful for those wanting to change the lights in there gauge cluster. i want to do it but i'm afraid to mess up my spedo and what not. just a thought!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Boxman420
this video was very helpful! I have a video request(if i'm allowed to give one?) which i think would be helpful to a lot of people. if you made one of you opening the gauge cluster and taking the needles off and putting them back on correctly that would be extremely helpful for those wanting to change the lights in there gauge cluster. i want to do it but i'm afraid to mess up my spedo and what not. just a thought!
i currently don't have a cluster available to me because it is in the mail too BBE, but here's a walk through, you basically just twist it counterclock wise and you will feel it come free, then you just pull up on the needles and they come right off, when you put them back on you just put the needle at the 12 oclock position and press them on, moving them back to their original spots, counterclockwise. here's a link

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12319

Once you have your positions marked, turn each needle counter-clockwise until it breaks free from the shaft. Then use a fork to pry each needle off. It will take a little force, but just be slow.

Once the old motor is off, make sure the holes are clear of solder and put your new motor in.
Resolder your 4 points and place the circuit board on the back cover. Fasten the overlay piece back on now.
Now press each needle back on in the 12 o-clock position. Then turn each needle back to your mark on the tape. If you miss the mark just keep turning counter-clockwise until you come around again.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:42 PM

ohh allright lol that will work too. gave me a little confidence. thanks a lot trewyn

Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Boxman420
ohh allright lol that will work too. gave me a little confidence. thanks a lot trewyn
no problem, if i find a decent priced spare cluster i may make a video, but i dont want to chance ruining mine after i get it fixed up and looking good haha, but if i ever have to replace these motors i will definitely make a video of the process

Old 01-23-2011, 05:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

+1 for the video

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jaws2008
+1 for the video
thanks man ha

Old 02-22-2011, 01:36 AM

i am a little iffy on this lol...i wish they wouldve had the lights inside be easy to replace, like, in a socket...so i could just pull it out, put in an LED of my choice lol...itd be way easier than redoing all the wiring

Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Nice vid, it's going to makes things easier for me in the near future. I'm just waiting for my new gauges, but I still haven't decided if I will do it myself or send it to BBE.

Quick Reply: Guide: How to remove your dash (video)