FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Mod Guide: How to install HID Headlights for 2000-2005 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Off BBEngineer's site:

Why would there be a highbeam out message, if it was your low-beams?

Introduction
The 2000-2005 Impala and Monte Carlo have a sophisticated lighting system designed to catch problems as well as deter modification. Up until now, it has not been possible to bypass the Daytime Running Lamp system on these vehicles without causing a "Service Engine Soon" or a "Highbeam Out" error message on the cluster message center. This article will present the wiring necessary to defeat the Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) and Automatic Light Control (ALC) systems

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 01-26-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM

grrrrrrr , im pissed then i didn't need to get it . This is a rare research mistake on my part and that pisses me off . I mean i love not haveing auto lights and i hated the drls but i thought they were on the low . The only thing i can think it that i wanted to get rid of the drls and couldn't do the 05 only trick so i had to get this and just assumed they were on the lows so i never got the hids before that .

thanks guys for not e kicking my **** . I hate being wrong , im pissed.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know that is how my Monte (2006) and my mom's Bonneville (2000) are, for sure, 100% positive! So i'm pretty sure GM did the same thing on the 00-05 Monte!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Hey, it happens once in a while, we all make mistakes here and there. LOL.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM

come on you were being safe than sorry. what i mean is we dont know what the factory has done when we get our cars. what i mean is accedently switch the drls from highs to lows. what i mean the lows could be on during the day and night with the auto light when it is dark out side. my low beams auto maticuly come on at night and during the day. i dont know why i thaught the highs should have been on during the dayas well as the night. what i am saying my headlights all the way around come on when i start the car

Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

yeah its deff the highs on mine, wish they would of done the same on these as they did on my truck & have it where u turn the switch back & it turns the DRL & autos off it was nice lol, but sadly its not on the monte, well im ordering my HID kit soon

Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 PM

100 percent for sure (at least with this kit) the daytimes are uneffected. the daytime/brights are the bulb towards the center and the hids are the outer ones.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

let me add few info for people that are new to HID. first, the lower the kelvin number the better the light visibility output for instant 5000k is the whitest light output, 6000k will have lite tint of blue but not as bright as 5000k, 8000k more blue than 6000k and less lite output, 1000k, 1200k, and so on.

most HID on ebay are the same made in china product. i wouldn't spend no more than $50 for HID. i bought a kit for $54 and it last for 2 year until the ballast burnt out.

here's another thing people forget to buy with the kit. even tho the kit will say plug and play, but it's good idea to buy a separate harness. the plug and play will work, but you not going to get the full power lite output. with the harness you will get full juice from the battery and not sharing it's power from interior lights, dash, and other accessories. not only that the chances of getting radio static, lite dimming, and other problems will be minimum.

instead of cutting a hole in the rubber grommet i done little different than Rosdaddy. i use i blade and cut a small X in the middle of the grommet and pull the wire through, the X slit will reseal itself and keep the wires stay snug.

the ballasts are weather resistant and little wet will not hurt. i mount the ballasts on the bumper renforcer bar. it gives a clean mount and you're not going to see them at all.

hope this will help anyone who's planning to buy HID kit in the future. i will post the link where to buy the wire harness for cheap $15 shipped. deliver to you the next day.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 AM

good advice on the x slits. i didnt use any instructions just got the kit and put 1 and 1 together.

all so when you see pics of the lights there not actually as blue in real life.

the bulbs i have look absolutely the bluest in the pics but in real life there way more white than in the pic. all so hes right about the lower you go on the color temperature the more visible it will be, but remember that these bulbs are 3x brighter than regulars so even if you go a high temperature color its still gonna be super bright. all so theres not just blue and white lights theres yellow pink purple and green.

and silverbullit when you recomend putting them straight to the battery are your lights just allways on when running period? or did u tap into the wire and use it as a switch?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

the hid will be more brighter and no the headlights will not always be on. no switch is need. one ground wire and one power to the battery. the other end of the plug go to headlight plug end. i have to go look at my setup again to see how i had it plug in. forgot how lol. here's the link to the harness. the company also sell parts that you can build your own projector halo. check out their web site.

http://shop.3bspecialties.com/HID-Re...ID-Harness.htm

Last edited by nemesis; 01-27-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Mod Guide: How to install HID Headlights for 2000-2005 Monte Carlo