Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Zzp pcm 1.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member
Default Zzp pcm 1.0

Has anyone used this? How do you like it. I was thinking of getting this as im throwing a code because of the headers, as expected. But on one of the other forums I have heard horror stories about blowing engines because of the ZZP PCM. Just curious what everyones thoughts were on it.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would recommend will at overkill first, but ZZP's PCMs aren't terrible.

They just completely remove torque management, so you have to not drive stupid.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 AM
1 Year Member

I plan on running the car on the track

Old 12-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I second Will @overkill I have his tune in my car and love it

Old 12-03-2015, 06:56 AM

I probably sound like a broken record saying this, but the DHP Powrtuner is another viable option here. The Powrtuner will let you change nearly anything in the pcm on your own without having to guess which vendor may have the best tune.

The nice thing is it sounds like your primary concern is shutting off the check engine light which is just about as simple a change as you can make.

Admittedly, the up front cost is a tad higher. I have a friend who just picked one up recently for $175, but they seem to hover around the $200 mark (you can only buy them used since they haven't been made in years). But the functionality is insane once you play with it and understand all of the things you can do.

I suppose I should add one more caveat since I don't know your background on cars. There are no safeguards to prevent you from destroying the engine or transmission. You could set the engine redline to 9000 rpm, WOT AFR to 15:1, etc etc. But if you take it slow and invest the time to learn what you're doing, it would be a great long term investment in the car.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:19 AM
1 Year Member

Yeah I don't know anything about cars so im relying on the people who do service on my car and the products I buy. I just took the car down the track and I want to do the pully drop and I want to get a pcm that would make it the safest for me to keep doing some track days and not have to worry. I have also though about getting it tuned locally but I don't know if they would have as much expierence with my car as someone who sells the pcm and will tune the pcm specifically for my car. I guess I should be asking this. Since right now I have a scanner and torque pro. What PID's should I be logging to make sure everything is going well with the car.

Where did your friend get that DHP powrtuner

Last edited by tweek; 12-15-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:43 PM

It is a bit of a trade off. There are some really good LS tuners out here that should be able to get you dialed in with hp tuners with no issue. I say that especially since your setup is pretty close to stock. A mail order tune won't really be dialed in to your specific car (unless you go back and forth sending scans and the pcm tune back and forth), but it would be cheaper.

I will say, if you have a lot of KR after the pulley drop, don't rely on the tuner to fix that. Always add physical mods to get the KR down as much as possible before getting a tune done. A tuner can certainly get rid of some KR, but more than a little and they're just pulling timing and drowning it in fuel to make the KR go away. That of course hurts power output.

As for where he got his tuner, it was off of clubgp. There are however multiple gp/3800 forums that you can keep an eye out on if you're seriously interested in getting one.