Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Weird smell while driving and after I turn off engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:25 AM
Default Weird smell while driving and after I turn off engine

I was wondering if anyone could help me get to da bottom of this it's like a burning type smell and I know I have a broke sway bar link and I was thinking that my sway bar might have moved and was rubbing on something but jus wondering if any one could maybe give a reason why it would be smelling like that

Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So does it smell like rubber, a plasticy smell, sweet, or burnt oil,

First thing I personally would do is pop the hood an see if I can see anything smoking, and start sniffing around

Old 12-15-2015, 01:16 PM

There's no smoke or anything jus like a burning smell like plastic

Old 12-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Things to check.
1. look at the disc brake rotors and see if they are worn or Hot?
2. It could be the Catalytic Converter they will smell sometimes.
3. Most likely it could be a antifreeze leak and its spilling onto a hot surface.
4. Check your antifreeze level maybe low.
5. Also check the serpentine belt to make sure it is rotating freely and there aren't any pulleys that are froze.
6. Check to make sure the wires on the engine are still covered sometimes they have tape on them and it unravels and gets on a hot surface.
7. Check you underside of the exhaust system to make sure you didn't run over a plastic bag and it's stuck to the hot pipe someplace.

If that doesn't solve anything you should check the interior for a hot wire someplace, also check your Fuses to make sure they are factory Fuses and not generic some fuse have been recalled for a defect and won't blow if overloaded and will cause an interior fire.