Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ZZP M90 or Morad Top Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just wanted to add I agree with everything Montyss02 said.

Joe

Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just sent a PM to the seller of the top swap kit on clubgp! Thanks for posting that!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Just a quick question... Is it better in your opinion to buy the morad top swap kit, or the ZZP M90 kit?
The ZZP kit is much easier to install. With a normal top swap, you must pull the heads- basically meaning you've got the car engine torn practically down to the short block. Plus, you've got to make sure your surfaces are good and not warped, or you'll have a hard time getting the new head gaskets to seal. Also with a normal top swap, you must pull the crank balancer. While its not terrible to change balancers, it being in the car makes it 10x harder than if its just chilling on an engine stand.

However, the ZZP kit makes it hardly worth it. The big draw to doing a top swap (especially buying one off the forums like the one posted) is the big gains for virtually no money. Many top swap parts are borderline junk, and many can be had for virtually nothing (ie an L67 balancer, fuel rails, etc)- heck I've thrown out some of those parts myself just because I couldn't get enough money selling them to make it worth shipping. The only pricey parts are the heads and SC, and neither of them is going for much nowadays.

IMO comparing a $500 top swap to almost a $2k setup that will get you the same thing is apples and oranges, plus with a top swap, you can run whatever pulley size from whatever company you want- you're not limited to the few ZZP choices.

Edit- that guy at the swap yard wanting $6500 for a 100k+ mile donor powertrain is retarded and obviously doesn't want to sell it- you could buy a VERY nice GTP for that. I'm talking a whole car too- not just an engine.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-09-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Agreed with all the above. Thats probably why its easy to just do the l67 swap. Look on craigslist, I found a decent l67/ tranny around here for $600.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member

Okay guys, I appreciate all the help! However, after a very extensive argument with both my parents, the verdict is that I can't get any performance modifications because with added power I WILL f**k up my life. Either by speeding so bad I get a ticket and lose my license, or by getting in a huge accident and severely injuring or killing myself. I understand their concern, but it just pisses me off that people don't believe I can make the correct decisions.
Even more, both my parents said if I save up $500 as a base in my savings account, I can spend whatever else is there. Currently, I have that $500, and alot more than I need to buy the top swap on clubgp.
When I first let them know that I want to do more with my engine, they told me that as long as I can get the money, and know how to install whatever it is, I can buy it. However, once I told them about the top swap idea, they first said, "Well what happens if something goes wrong? You won't have enough money to have a safe backup to correct it." To which I replied, "Then I'll save up more before I install it."
Now, it's not even about the money, which I believe they kindof gave up on because they knew I won that one. It's about my safety? Come on... it's not enough power to corrupt me so much to the point where my life will change.
And the best part of it all? They told me that if I had more experience on engines, I might've been able to get the swap. What better way to gain experience?!
Also, I've researched and saved for quite a while now, so all that time and effort is completely wasted because THIS is what I was saving for.
So once again, thank you guys SO SO much for all your help on this issue. I've learned alot, but it probably won't happen until I move out of this house.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Take that opportunity to save for your turbo then!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Just do what I do, tell them its your money so you can do what you want with it.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM

as a parent, i completely agree with your parents...

my son will be turning 16 here soon, and i will be giving him my Monte as his first car (he don't know yet). i have a complete top swap and mods that i would never put on this Monte and give to him... if he hurt himself or others because i made the car too fast for him to handle i would be devastated.

what im saying is this, don't get mad at your parents because they care enough to not let you make your car a speed demon...

my .02 for whatever it's worth

Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Your parents are looking out for you. When we are young we tend to be a bit impulsive, some more than other, and at times make decisions on the fly that end up messing us up, and your folks know this. If I was you, I'd just save for a turbo kit, much more than the $500, and in the meantime learn about your car's performance, limits, mechanics and mods that can make it a better car. And practice patience!!!!! above all, for in the end you'll be better off with a turbo than an M90.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member

Enzo: I did and they thought I was ridiculous for thinking such a thing.

All others talking about saving for a turbo: I wish! Lol But for some reason I don't think they'll let me get it, if they won't even let me get a supercharger. Maybe I could make the turbo sound like a safer, slower option. Don't nobody tell that it's faster! I would love a turbo, but with how much it costs between the actual kit and the tranny upgrades, it probably won't happen.

03Monte: Your kid is so lucky to be inheriting such a badass car! Hopefully he drives it responsibly and doesn't hurt anyone. I wish my parents were more like you! However, they're my parents, and I love them even if they do **** me off, frequently.

Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: ZZP M90 or Morad Top Swap?