Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Z max!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Exclamation Z max!!!!!

hey I always see commercials about how z max is the s*** and all that stuff but ive never heard about anyone actually using the stuff. Anyone tried it?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

I used it once. cant say it did anything. i did the oil and fuel ones. maby if you used 2 or 3 times it might make a difference and help out durability.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM

I use it in all my cars. After a few use's you can tell it's doing it's job but I don't know about the horse power claim they make, but for lubricating you can tell its working.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by wottreng33
hey I always see commercials about how z max is the s*** and all that stuff but ive never heard about anyone actually using the stuff. Anyone tried it?

Below is from Web Seach

The additives that fought back

ZMax wins against an FTC settlement for misleading advertising.

The Federal Trade Commission filed suit in a U. S. District Court that sought to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and which asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleged that enhanced performance claims for the product were unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually mineral oil tinted with food colouring..

Well on 20th March 2003, Speedway Motorsports Inc. (TRK) and Oil-Chem Research Corp., the manufacturers of zMax, announced that they had settled their dispute with the FTC. The Concord, North Carolina-based Speedway said that the dispute was concerning the advertising of zMAX Power System. Marylaurel E. Wilks, VP and general counsel said, "We at Speedway Motorsports are very pleased that the staff of the Federal Trade Commission has specifically confirmed that Oil-Chem can continue to make the following claims in its advertising and promotion of zMAX:".
  • zMAX soaks into metal,
  • zMAX reduces friction,
  • zMAX increases horsepower,
  • zMAX dissipates engine heat,
  • zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
  • zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
  • zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
  • zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
Here's the kicker (from their website): "Oil-Chem and SMI have not admitted any liability in this litigation. However, in order to avoid the significant expense and time involved in the litigation, the FTC, Oil-Chem and SMI have agreed to end the litigation by the signing of an order, which, in summary, states: (a) Oil-Chem and SMI do not admit any liability and continue to deny any liability; (b) The FTC has issued its compliance letter (which confirms that enforcement is not merited for the eight specified claims); (c) Oil-Chem and SMI will not make advertising claims which are not properly substantiated; and (d) Oil-Chem and SMI will offer a refund of up to $1 million, in the aggregate, to certain purchasers of zMAX, who bought zMAX before January 31, 2001."

Click here to read the original FTC Report on the FTC vs. ZMax.
Click here to read the somewhat fuzzy final ruling in this case.
Click here to go to zMax's own site and read the settlement blurb.
Click here to see all the FTC Reports pertaining to zMax.

Click here to see the FTC court order (PDF file).
The first 17 pages are the original Court Order with all stipulations, pages 18-20 show the letter from the Oil-Chem Research and Speedway Motorsports, Inc attorneys (12/23/2002) to Elaine D. Kolish (an Associate Director at the FTC) outlining the "Claims" Zmax intended to make from that date forward, and in anticipation of the FTC Court Order. Page 21 is the response from Ms. Kolish (12/26/2002) to those attorneys that accepts their information as, "accurate and complete," and that it will continue in that manner assuming our test information is maintained as such (which it has,) in addition to the provision that, "no defendant violates the terms of the order."

It should be noted that the FTC is a Federal Government Commission that must maintain an extreme level of integrity, and therefore remain impartial on all matters. As a result, they cannot be seen even remotely as endorsing any product, company or entity over another. Even after all of the negative press that was generated during this litigation, (and is still available for view on various websites), the FTC is not allowed to produce a letter that endorses a product or company regardless of the outcome of that litigation. What they were able to do was allow "side letters" (the follow-up communications with Oil-Chem Research and Speedway Motorsports, Inc attorneys) to be posted along with the court order, the latter of which is confusing for any non-legal professional to read if it is not viewed along with these other letters.

Source Link ~> http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would never put that crap in any of my cars...all you need is motor oil, and a good filter, change it regularly, and you are good! It specifically states in your owners manual DO NOT put and additives in your oil.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM

i wouldn't use that stuff just because i'm too cheap to buy it. you don't see any noticeable gains so why pay for it? using a good quality oil will do you just fine. the only additive i've put in my car is seafoam in the gas tank once a year or so.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Take it to the max with Zmax!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not going to HURT your engine, but with today's lubricants, I agree with the manufacturers. Just put in the full synthetics that GM recommends on their list, and you're good to go. If it was needed, GM would TELL us so, such as they TELL us we NEED to run premium fuel in our cars. Brand doesn't matter, as with the oil. Just make sure it conforms to their minimum specs.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM

lol that is hilarious. Im never going to try it. just like that oil stabilizer stuff that Lucas oil has out. My friend had a little valve train noise so he tried the s***. It made it worse and knocked all over. We had to drain the oil right away and put 5 more quarts of good oil into it.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:33 PM

People say just stick to what GM says and dont add anything, but if it was GM selling the product GM would be saying the complete opposite, they would probably say the car run without it.

Quick Reply: Z max!!!!!