Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Yikes!!trac off abs service traction system lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 AM

i can change a wheel bearing in 35 mins or less with out air tools and 90% of the time the bearing is seized into the steering knuckle so bad i need to pound it off with a 38 ounce hammer. its easier with air tools and hoist for obvious reasons but not necessary. torque spec is like 118 ft.lbs i think for axle nut.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Check your brake fluid level. happened on my car. i was just low on brake fluid because my pads and rotors where so worn out that the cylinder in the caliper was pushed partially out.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM

I have a 2001 that had the abs/service tc light on all the time. Advance Auto read the abs codes for free and that showed multiple messages all related to the front passenger side. They recommended replacing that hub. I decided to first try cleaning the connections, no change. I then used an ohm meter to check from the sensor connection to about two feet up the harness. Bingo, no connection from one wire. The harnesses are a known problem with many GM models of this era because binding causes broken wires inside the insulation. Cost me 35 dollars for a new one that just needed to be spliced in. Cheaper and easier than the hub would be.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:27 AM

I know I am going through the same problem of the "service engine light" & "trac off light", but by Autozone, I was told that its a fuel pressure problem somewhere which is seepin air. Now the hub, thats another thing because when my hub first went bad on my car (front passenger side), there was a WHOLE LOT OF SHAKING going on when I reach highway speeds, then gotten worser during city speeds. So I changed it and now im back in the same result as the shimming at highway speeds (which im positive its the warp rotors) but the trac light goes off and on (mainly stays on (even before I pull off after starting my car)).

So since I am about to change all my rotors and brakes, I figure I should change that hub but the thing is, which one I do not know is bad. I don't wanna buy the hub for the wrong side of my car and really pissed. If is the speed sensor, how will I tell from each side of it being either one? How exactly can you clean the connectors?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had my trac/ABS light going on and off for almost 8 months untill it completely failed... Had the sensor replaced (passenger side rear)... Wish I had found this thread before I spent the big bucks...

Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Default same problem

i had the same problem a while ago and mine was because of the grounding wire from the brake setup in the engine bay below the brake reservoir. If it is not grounded right all of those lights will turn on..

It happened to me because of my K&N intake heat shield was stopping it from making a proper ground.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM

I agree fixing these parts is very important. My abs/ traction lights have been on since I got my Monte 8 months ago. Unless I sell her I will probably never fix. I have been driving long before abs/traction control was ever used on any motor vehicle. I have learned to be very cautious and drive defensive. If it is your DD and live where there is rain,snow ice I would get it diagnosed and repaired. My 2 cents.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 PM

I can vouch for the ground issue. I added another ground from the original ground on the "frame" to the ABS unit. I couldn't get to the screw the original ground was attached to on the ABS unit so I used another, more easily accessible screw. I also cleaned up the areas and used dielectric grease on the new connections. While doing that I removed the main connector from the ABS unit and sprayed both parts of the connector with electric contact cleaner, dried them with an air hose and dielectric greased them as well. The ABS/Trac light hasn't come back on since. I had already replaced both front hubs but the lights still came on at that point.

I work on forklifts for a living and grounds, corroded connectors and corroded/broken wires are very common even though they have "waterproof" connectors.

I hope this helps someone.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had the same problem with my '03 a few years ago. It was the speed sensor going bad, like some have mentioned. The ABS light would come on and disable the traction control periodically. The sensor is build inside the wheel hub so the entire hub was replaced. I think mine was the passenger rear, but I know for sure it was one of the rears.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 AM

I am having an issue similar to this in my 2001 ss and want to pick some brains on what could be the cause.

It started with the ABS light, service traction system, and traction off lights coming on rarely, on what I noticed were rainy/snowy wet days.I never actually gave it much thought because it so rarely actually ever occurred.

Not long (couple months) after that I started having front wheel bearing issues. I replaced (with NAPA bearing) the front passenger side, on the first weekend. I didn't notice I don't think it rained nor did I expect the ABS/TRAC OFF/SERV TRAC SYS issue to be fixed.

Second weekend, I replaced (again NAPA) the front drivers side wheel bearing.

Since then the problem has become an almost daily thing, except now, when the lights turn on I can now HEAR and FEEL the ABS actually applying to the brakes, then the christmas tree lights up. I start it up, shift to drive, apply brake and then the ABS turns on and then all the lights show up.

This will happen I'd say about 80% of the time, the 20% of the time it doesn't happen, actually I can say are wet/rainy days. If it doesn't happen when I start the car it won't happen at all, till maybe the next time park and restart.

I've double checked the ABS sensor connections, they're snug, and don't look damaged.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? I thought maybe the front driver side bearing is defective, considering the problem never really actually got worse so to speak till after I replaced that one.

Quick Reply: Yikes!!trac off abs service traction system lights