Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Wrong firing order

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 AM
1 Year Member
Default Wrong firing order

So i feel like an idiot. I guess I wasnt paying attention and somehow had cylinder 5 on the cylinder 2 tower on the coil, and vice versa...its been like that for afew days.

How badly did i fudge up the motor?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So is your P0300 code gone now? haha

idk how much damage you could have done, put everything back correctly and see if you are throwing codes and such.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
So is your P0300 code gone now? haha

idk how much damage you could have done, put everything back correctly and see if you are throwing codes and such.
No more codes related to the motor haha.

Yesterday i hooked it up to a scanner with real time data and it was strangley only misfiing on 3...not sure how the computer works when its firing on wrong cylinders.

Right now no more misfires, but the idle jumps between 680 and 740. For all i know i fried something. The MAF sensor is working correctly though. Scanner can read the Hz and the Hz goes up when i give it throttle and always goes back to the same starting Hz value and I tested it for voltage and its fine.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unplug the battery for an hour, let the computer forget fuel trims that it learned while you had the firing order wrong.

That alone might fix your idle problem.

Now you just need to fix that Cat

Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Unplug the battery for an hour, let the computer forget fuel trims that it learned while you had the firing order wrong.

That alone might fix your idle problem.

Now you just need to fix that Cat
Exactly. Im not even sure the cat has an issue other than the rattle.

Does it really take an hour?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Correct me if I am wrong, But doesn't each coil fire both outputs twice, meaning, each coil has one input, when it fires, both outputs fire. Meaning that ifyou cross wires from any 2cylinders that are on the same coil pack, there is No difference in your firing order. It's best to have your cylinders wired to the right position on a coil bit it is not harmful if the 2 cylinders are crossed?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Correct me if I am wrong, But doesn't each coil fire both outputs twice, meaning, each coil has one input, when it fires, both outputs fire. Meaning that ifyou cross wires from any 2cylinders that are on the same coil pack, there is No difference in your firing order. It's best to have your cylinders wired to the right position on a coil bit it is not harmful if the 2 cylinders are crossed?
Thats very interesting...honestly my car ran and revved fine while it was like that. I mean the idle was meh but it wasnt loping.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I remember reading once, and please don't quote me cause my momma says I been Old since I was 3, so my memory could be failing, , that the plugs fire on the exhaust stroke, to burn any gas that did not do so on the combustion stroke, for better emissions. That is why today's fuel injected engines are better than those I worked on A Billion Years ago.
Therefore, if your plug wires are on the wrong post But the right coil, you firing order should be OK. If you have bogging, shuttering, poor power, the cause could be, bad plugs, bad wires, or if you are miss firing on 2 cylinders that are on the same coil, then the coil itself may be bad. At least, That's how the math works in my Geek of a Brain!

Last edited by JC Colon; 08-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.