Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

would like advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM

You'll have to have the codes cleared with a scan tool for the lights to go away.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 PM

used an after market comps cam, 1:9 rockers, 95lb springs
Wait, what- how big is the aftermarket cam? Just about any decent sized aftermarket cam with 1.9 rockers is going to be too much lift unless the heads have been machined for it. Plus, I'd imagine that spring rate is too low for any decent rpm with that combo, depending what the cam specs are.

msd blaster coils, and 9mm wires.
If the car isn't running right- these are the first two things I'd ditch. Put stock coils and stock wires back on, or at least regular OEM replacement wires. You aren't adding any power with either of those mods, and you are potentially causing the car to be more unreliable.

now my problem, I turn the car on runs fine for about a minute and then get a yellow service engine soon light, and/or a red low oil light.
If the SES light is coming on- what is the code it is throwing?

Is there any warranty on the work done (engine rebuild?)? If the car didn't run right after the engine rebuild, it should have been fixed then and there.

But I'd start first at removing the aftermarket ignition garbage, then I'd look at your total cam lift, and see if maybe you damaged something by running too much lift. After the SES light comes on after a minute, how does it run?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Wait, what- how big is the aftermarket cam? Just about any decent sized aftermarket cam with 1.9 rockers is going to be too much lift unless the heads have been machined for it. Plus, I'd imagine that spring rate is too low for any decent rpm with that combo, depending what the cam specs are.

If the SES light is coming on- what is the code it is throwing?

But I'd start first at removing the aftermarket ignition garbage, then I'd look at your total cam lift, and see if maybe you damaged something by running too much lift. After the SES light comes on after a minute, how does it run?
Once the light comes on it sorta stumbles and loses power, but runs smooth before that. I am borrowing a scan tool today to read the codes and go from there. I bought the comp cam stage I, I kinda get the feeling that I have too much lift as well
Cam Specifications:
■Lift: Intake .507/ Exhaust .507
■Duration @ .50: Intake 210/ Exhaust 216
■Lobe Angle Seperation: 115 Degrees

thanks for the help you got my gears turning now.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't do cam and rockers, and put the stock ignition stuff back on as well.

Where did you get the tune from?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by supercharged SS
I kinda get the feeling that I have too much lift as well
Cam Specifications:
■Lift: Intake .507/ Exhaust .507
■Duration @ .50: Intake 210/ Exhaust 216
■Lobe Angle Seperation: 115 Degrees
The lift that you're quoting for your cam is kind of misleading. Whenever a website advertises cams for 3800's and you see a lift over .400, then they are including the lift with the stock ratio rockers. That means that the cam that you have is actually this:

Lift: Intake .317/ Exhaust .317

However, with 1.9 rockers, your lift goes from a very safe .507/.507 (with stock rockers) to:

Lift: Intake .602/.602

That's incredibly dangerous for a set of stock 3800 heads. Any lift with rockers that goes above .515 needs to at least have upgraded valve springs and modified retainers. If I were you, I would go back to a stock ignition system (MSD coils are a nightmare to deal with), and also immediately go back to the stock rockers.

By the way, is this a custom cam? I couldn't find that particular cam (spec wise) in the small search that I did. The cam is comparable to the GT1 cam. For a blower setup, I would recommend something bigger such as the XP cam from ZZP.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by zipper
The lift that you're quoting for your cam is kind of misleading. Whenever a website advertises cams for 3800's and you see a lift over .400, then they are including the lift with the stock ratio rockers. That means that the cam that you have is actually this:

Lift: Intake .317/ Exhaust .317

However, with 1.9 rockers, your lift goes from a very safe .507/.507 (with stock rockers) to:

Lift: Intake .602/.602

That's incredibly dangerous for a set of stock 3800 heads. Any lift with rockers that goes above .515 needs to at least have upgraded valve springs and modified retainers. If I were you, I would go back to a stock ignition system (MSD coils are a nightmare to deal with), and also immediately go back to the stock rockers.

By the way, is this a custom cam? I couldn't find that particular cam (spec wise) in the small search that I did. The cam is comparable to the GT1 cam. For a blower setup, I would recommend something bigger such as the XP cam from ZZP.
That's good advise guys, I dont have the stock rockers I sent them back for core. I called the dealer and they said stock rockers would cost me $430. I looked on 3800 performance they have a 1:70 ratio for $274.99 Is this a doable solution? thanks again guys.

High Ratio Rocker Arms: 3800 Performance

Old 06-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I wouldn't do cam and rockers, and put the stock ignition stuff back on as well.

Where did you get the tune from?
I got the tune from wbody store.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Forget all of that. Just go to a pick and pull junkyard and pull a set of rockers off of a Series II 3800 and you will be fine. Should only cost you $10-20 (Edit: It could be more then that, but it won't be anywhere near $275).

Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Seriously, go on clubgp and find some stock rockers- make a thread or something. Tons of people upgrade to aftermarket rockers- and still have their stockers laying around. I'd be shocked if you couldn't get stock rockers for $25.

That's good advise guys, I dont have the stock rockers I sent them back for core. I called the dealer and they said stock rockers would cost me $430. I looked on 3800 performance they have a 1:70 ratio for $274.99 Is this a doable solution? thanks again guys.
IMO, stop buying performance parts until you have a car that runs. No sense in continuing to throw money at performance parts when it doesn't even run as good as stock.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I actually might have my stockers sitting somewhere. I will try to remember to check for you.

You'll also need to buy reusable rocker bolts if you didn't already for the 1.9s.

Quick Reply: would like advise