Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

would like advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Angry would like advise

So I recently purchased some parts for my engine and had a mechanic install it for me. I blew my engine and had one rebuilt and used an after market comps cam, 1:9 rockers, 95lb springs, zzp modified rockers, headers with down pipe, msd blaster coils, and 9mm wires. I spaced out on the PCM tune because I was looking for a tuner in my area (biloxi, Ms). Never came close to finding one. So I ordered a canned tuned online instead, I already swapped that out. So now my problem, I turn the car on runs fine for about a minute and then get a yellow service engine soon light, and/or a red low oil light. The low oil light comes and goes what gives? I've been thinking about this for the past week while i waited for the PCM, then it gets here and I realize I dont have my catalytic converter installed and im like WTF! There is more to the mechanic story, I feel he cheated me big time.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Hi `Joel,
Sorry to read about your problems.
My advice is to not go back to that mechanic
What is his background/experience ? Is he a certified mechanic ? Has he worked on other performance cars/engines in your area ?

After you blew `up your engine & had a new one rebuilt, was it a total rebuilt ? Top End & Bottom End ?
How many miles on your rebuilt engine ?
I hope one of our expert engine re-builder member's can understand your problem & advise (?)

Did your mechanic give a warranty or any guarantee's with his work ? What is the rest of his story ?

Sorry, some mistakes in life are more expensive then others. I just hope that we can learn from them & not repeat.
Wish you good luck on resolving your problems...

Last edited by Space; 06-06-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Well if you dont have a cat thats probably the reason the engine light is on but I have no clue on the oil light. I'd get a custom tune if I were you. I think most on the Forum use Overkill for a tune. Total bummer that the mechanic would do that to you thats terrible.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Did the headers you bought have the cat in the downpipe? Some headers have a catless downpipes for cars that don't need them. Because for the mechanic to remove the cat from the downpipe would be a bit of an effort. As BlackRain said, no cat will give you the P4020 (or similar code) CEL.

Secondly, your oil level sensor could be on its way out, hence why your light goes on and off.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM

The engine was rebuilt at an engine machine shop after i blew the valve cover gasket and valve cover at about 86000 miles spun a bearing and knocked like crazy. The headers came pipe if I wanted to remove the cat, but I want to use a cat. I read that the oil pressure switch is probably going out, so I bought one just waiting to install it today after work. If the exhaust was finished I would feel better about diagnosing the problem. Next time I'm just going to do it myself.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Thank You for your reply...Good Luck
p.s. Thanks member's for helping a member

Last edited by Space; 06-06-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM

I am very grateful for everyones input.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Since one engine has blown and you are modding more, I'd invest in a scan gauge (I prefer Aeroforce) if I were you.. Just something to keep an eye on many different things such as kr/various temps/etc.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 PM

I will once i can get it running right, I already have my colors pick out too.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM

Update:
Changed the oil pressure sensor, also had the catalytic convertor installed today. Nothing really remedied everything thing still acts the same as before. I'm currently letting the engine cool down then and disconnected the battery, while I plan my next move with this car.

Quick Reply: would like advise