Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Why must they stop me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 AM

i know I cant learn it from it, just wanted to know if it was possible. And anybody know any info on where I can get a tuner that would let me eliminate the restrictions

Old 10-16-2009, 11:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hptuners.com

Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM

You can get a PCM from ZZP that eliminates it, its cheaper then a tuner. The main reason for governors is so you don't exceed the speed rating of your tires. Cars that come with ZR rated tires usually come without governors. If your going to drive at higher speeds for any length of time make sure your running H rated tires or better. S or T rated are only good to around 118 mph.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:09 PM

what happens if you exceed the speed rating for your tires?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 PM

15 Year Member

If you go over you tires speed rating, then it is not designed to handle that kind of pressure / weight at a certain speed = blowing out the tire.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM

ok. I will be needing newer tires soon anyway. I normally drive about 80 because most of my commute is on the interstate. Occasionally I get the NFS and decide to take a back road. What tires... maybe specific ones... should I get that can handle speeds up to 130... just to be safe.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:11 PM

atleast v rated

Old 10-16-2009, 02:30 PM

any brand I would be recommended to trust? Any favorites?

Last edited by captaindamnit; 10-16-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM

15 Year Member

check out tirerack.com they have a good rating system on tires with real users comments and feedbacks.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:32 PM

You know, I always wondered why I can't go passed a certain top speed.
It is limited by your PCM as a safety precaution.

IF it did that how fast would you theoretically go?
That is tough to say; mechanically speaking (ie on a dyno with no wind resistance)- the only real variable would be your RPM limiter and what you have that set at. It should come out under 200 mph with the stock rev limiter, with the ability to do over 200 mph (there was a Bonneville built years ago that did 200+ mph on the salt flats with a heavily modded version of our powertrain).

In the real world, with wind resistance, it depends how much power you have- as to how much wind resistance you can overcome. You'll obviously never hit anywhere near 200 mph with stock power. I'd imagine a stock NA 3800 may not even be able to hit 150 mph. (anything much over 100 or so takes forever)

Not to mention, what would be the point in going much over 100 mph anyways; its tough for an engine to sit there running WOT for minutes and minutes trying to get that much higher.

AND can any "governors" or "restricter plates" be taken off to allow me to utilize those top gears...........
Its not really being able to use "top gears"; regardless if your car is in 3rd or 4th, the PCM speed limit is the same; so what you would need to do is either buy a PCM tuner ($400-500) and change it yourself; or buy a pretuned pcm (about $100) and that will do the same, among other changes. They usually reset the speed limiter to its max value (250 or so), because you can't technically turn it 'off' given our current tuning options.

is possible to alter the gear ratios or what ever, can it be done in our MC's,
Individual gear ratios- no; no one makes aftermarket gears for these cars (what would you want to change them to anyways, the gear spacing isn't that bad for a 4 speed IMO). However, you can change your "final drive" (equivalent to a rear end gear on a RWD car)- the transmission needs to be pulled apart and the drive chain and both sprockets need replaced (the ratio of sizes of the sprockets gives your final drive ratio)- common aftermarket replacements inclue 2.93 (stock for the supercharged 3800s), 3.29 (which you should have), and 3.69- although there are more options available if you dig into OEM stuff and such.

Really though, changing the final drive isn't that great of a mod due to the high cost with little gain- especially if you're otherwise stock.

and is it possible to "add" a fifth and/or sixth gear transmission?
Of course its possible, there are many 5 and 6 speed automatic and manual transmissions for FWD applications; it would be a matter of making an adaptor plate, custom axles, and then running a standalone shift controlling computer (since your current pcm can only use 4 gears). There are some GM ones that would just bolt up, but you'd still need custom axles and some way to shift it.

what happens if you exceed the speed rating for your tires?
Overheating, possible rupturing of the tire. Which at well over 100 mph where it would happen would like result in you getting killed.

any brand I would be recommended to trust? Any favorites?
What you need to do first is determine if you need an all-season tire (if you live where it snows and will not change tires in the winter), or a summer tire (if you live where it does not snow, or switch to winter wheels/tires in winter).

Once you've determined that, then consider how high performance you want to go (mostly how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend)- then I'd click on this page:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

and open the survey for the class of tire you want to look into; and it lists all tires in that category arranged by ratings. So you can see what others think are best in the class.

Personally, I've got the BFG KDW2's on my monte, and I like them quite a bit:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ce+T%2FA+KDW+2

Handling isn't bad, but they hook pretty well straight line. I've heard noise can be bad with them, but my monte is loud enough I can't tell anyways.

But there are so many options, and so few people who have really tried a lot of tires in any one class, especially of current models. Thats why you're best off reading others reviews on there, and what the test results are.

Quick Reply: Why must they stop me?