Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Whipple vs. Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Whipple vs. Turbo ?

I found this one as well in my email history talking to Zoomer and referring to Clubgp.com:

Honestly, there really is no comparison from the CT kit to ours other than that they are both turbo kits. No CT cars on our forums have run mid 11's but Stattama has 3 cars in the 9's, many in the 10's, etc. I recommend our T66 turbo and I will have Matt give some more of the details.[/align][/align]
Zooomer
ZZPerformance.com[/align]

Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 PM

well, I emailed zz like you said, and I anxiously await a reply

Old 06-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Alright, so I sent an email out to ZZ performance, and he decided that because I am looking for an everyday driver, that is reliable, and easier to work on, he suggested that I stick with an m90, upgrade to (a gen v?) and upgrade my engine internals. Since I have heard from alot of people that all I need is a pcm upgrade or a thrasher shift kit (which we discussed earlier) then I think this is going to be the best way to go. I will end up getting a machined snout, getting a 2.8 pulley, and upgrading all of the internals. "Zoomer" stated that with these conditions, I can be running low 12's in the quarter, and ultimately, my goal is just to be able to keep up, if not surpass those stupid lancers that run a 12.9

SO, that being said, where the heck can I get a GEN V Eaton Blower? What is the different between what I have and a Gen V?

However, I am glad that you steered me away from the whipple, as more and more research online is proving that the company's blowers cant compare to an m90 pushing a 2.8 pulley with engine internal mods.

-Keegan

Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 PM

gen V blowers are what comes on the L32 the newer 3800 SC motor from i think 2004+ (might be 05) i think ZZP has them

Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 PM

Yeah the Gen V'scome on the 04+ Grand Prix's. The Monte Carlos got all the hand-me-down Gen III's

This is ALOT of work and studying. I'm talking like over a month to get an idea where you are going to go. You simply can't drop a 2.8 pulley and get away with it. You're still looking at about 3-6 grand in mods.

I'd start with the simple stuff first:
CAI - I love my Wizaird from ZZP and they've dropped them in price since last year.

Downpipe - might want to combine this with getting Headers.

Catback Exhaust - This is your own choice but I recommend staying with the 2.5 diameter.

Headers - Think TOG's!!! Avoid the SLP's. If I could do it again it would be TOG's and downpipe together.

Programmer - Either DHP or HPTuners. If you wait a month or so, I can send you the generic upgrade from HP Tuners that everyone pays $100 for, but if you want to go Gen V supercharger you will need your own programmer to take care of the accompanying Throttle Body for the Gen V and to program fuel trims.

180* T-stat - about 10 bucks anywhere.

Autolite 104 spark plugs - Big debate on who has the best plugs, but across the boards most modders run Autolite.

Finally drop a pulley and enjoy. Either 3.5 or 3.4 - you will want to have your programmer by now.

Now you start to save up cash for the bigger upgrades. You will have dropped between 1000-2000 into the car at this point.

Gen V and lower intake and Throttle Body is what I'm going to do once I get my programmer. I made the mistake of not getting the programmer right away and I'm really regretting it.

Get all 3 items at the same time to save yourself some headaches. You can assemble it and play with it a bit before installing it. You can get familiar with the setup. When you do this you can expect to drop between 700 - 2000 on this upgrade depending on how you aquire the parts.

[Shameless Plug] By the way, if you want to get a cheap downpipe I'm selling mine. I changed to SLP headers and needed to fabricate a whole new downpipe for my setup. I'm selling my Random Technology pipe for $240 plus shipping. https://montecarloforum.com/m_38800/tm.htmShipping will be about 20 bucks. [/Shameless plug]

As for Gen V info, here is a bookmark I've been reading about once a week for close to 2 months and always discover something new: http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3036177

Once I get this taken care of (hopefully by October due to money), I'll continue to update what else needs to be done. It will be put in the Do-it-yourself section like I did with my SLP Header install.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Don't want to do a thread HiJack, but for more info on my downpipe for sale, here is where I got it and info on it: http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...oduct_Count=13

The quicker someone buys this, the quicker I can get my programmer and get experimenting with a Gen V.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 AM

Well, in addition to all of those things, I am also going to be going to 60# fuel injector kit, along with a new camshaft from intense racing, and new forged pistons. I planned on dropping that much money anyway. The money is not the issue. I want reliable. I want something that I can drive, day in, day out, and not worry about blowing anything up. Once I change my internals, and get the exhaust changed out, My goal is to get a machined m90 snout so that I can drop down in pulley size. Along with a gatorback goodyear belt.

My goal is, this winter, to start rippin her apart around December, and have her back together and ready for tuning within 2 months.

And as far as complications, I am a Sikorsky Blackhawk Helicopter Engine mechanic. So a v6 is the alot easier compared to a turbine engine pushing 1700 horsepower.

Only problem is, there are alot more variables when it comes to car engines. A turbine is easy. Replace the shaft, the accessory drive, end of story. But with cars, it is never that clear cut

I will continue to search however.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Okay, so seriously, I'm not trying to be a baby, but I have looked EVERYWHERE on google and across the web for m90 gen V superchargers. I emailed Zoomer and he told me he that he is out of stock, and has no idea when he is getting them in, and I emailed Eaton directly, and they are giving me the run around.

So, Where in the heck do I buy this thing?!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ExplosiveSoundz

Okay, so seriously, I'm not trying to be a baby, but I have looked EVERYWHERE on google and across the web for m90 gen V superchargers. I emailed Zoomer and he told me he that he is out of stock, and has no idea when he is getting them in, and I emailed Eaton directly, and they are giving me the run around.

So, Where in the heck do I buy this thing?!
EBay. It's just a matter of time that someone posts them. It may take a month or so before you will see one unfortunately.

This happens to be a high demand mod and alot of modders just offer them to someone in their car club. Also finding them brand new is next to impossible so we have to wait for someone to total out their 05+ Grand Prix and then hope it gets posted on Ebay.

It actually does happen more often then you think though... at least once per month there is one on Ebay.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:25 PM

LOL!!! Time to be the first person to snag a Black Hawk turbine you work on and shoehorn it into the Monte. =D

RWD Midengine kind of like a Tucker.

It would definately turn heads then.

Quick Reply: Whipple vs. Turbo ?