Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Whipple vs. Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Whipple vs. Turbo ?

well, it is looking like it all depends. But let me put it this way:

They state that an m90 running a 3.0 or even smaller pulley with a modified engine PALES in comparison to a STOCK Whipple.

Not to mention getting any girl you want at just a touch of the pedal with that wonderful noise coming from under the hood!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Okay, so I just got an email from this company, and here was his response to my question about how much air this pushes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keegan, it will fit on any L67, yes. Hood clearance might be an issue but actual fitment won't be.
Whipple only makes a handfull of "kits". They also sell their various blowers for use with other applications where the customer makes an adapter for the supercharger. In this case the supercharger is a Whipple and the adapters are ours.

The blower displaces 2.3liters of air per revolution.

I then emailed him back, asking him the ACTUAL size of this item, he replied with:

Keegan, it's about 1/2" shorter than the stock blower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUPPOSEDLY we are talking about like, roughly 20-25 psi.

I dunno where else to look for information on this blower. Seems too good to be true for a price tag of only 3200. I mean, the biggest reason I would choose this over a turbo is because of the extra mess of running more lines, a more cluttered engine bay, and more moving parts = more chance of me messing something up with the turbo install

Old 06-24-2007, 09:47 PM

The Whipple is a nice upgrade, but so far doesn't touch the turbos available. This topic has been beaten to death on other websites such as mymonte.com and clubgp.com.

Over the last year or so chatting and speaking with some of the more informed people on both sites (Lav74, and Bumpin96 on mymonte and zoomer, animul, and troy at Club GP), that these haven't really been popular upgrades.

On the high side about 20 people or so are running M112's and there are about 4 or 5 total people running Whipples.

Here is a diehard link on ClubGP regarding the Whipple. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...anguage=single

It is a powerfull addon but if you look at the mods on the cars that have the Whipples they simply have dropped thousands of dollars into these engines and don't have the payoff the turbo's do.

The M112 is a beast in its own and really isn't that popular either.

After everything is said and done if you are just trying to bump your car into a beast, consider doing a GenV swap. If you are going for ***** out power, think Stattama turbo and that will drop you into the low 12's in full trim with no weight reduction.

There just hasn't been enough development on the Whipple yet and the M112 just isn't very popular.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 PM

The Whipple is a nice upgrade, but so far doesn't touch the turbos available. This topic has been beaten to death on other websites such as mymonte.com and clubgp.com.

Over the last year or so chatting and speaking with some of the more informed people on both sites (Lav74, and Bumpin96 on mymonte and zoomer, animul, and troy at Club GP), that these haven't really been popular upgrades.

On the high side about 20 people or so are running M112's and there are about 4 or 5 total people running Whipples.

Here is a diehard link on ClubGP regarding the Whipple. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...anguage=single

It is a powerfull addon but if you look at the mods on the cars that have the Whipples they simply have dropped thousands of dollars into these engines and don't have the payoff the turbo's do.

The M112 is a beast in its own and really isn't that popular either.

After everything is said and done if you are just trying to bump your car into a beast, consider doing a GenV swap. If you are going for ***** out power, think Stattama turbo and that will drop you into the low 12's in full trim with no weight reduction.

There just hasn't been enough development on the Whipple yet and the M112 just isn't very popular.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:50 PM

Damn Charter internet. =P

Sorry for the double post.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Actually lets put this more into perspective funds wise at trying to get to low 12's.

Whipple is $3300. You are also going to need to look at: larger injectors, fuel rails, cold air intake, t-stat, plugs, and possibly throttlebody. May also need to consider cam, heads and headers. Finally you will also need a programmer. When this is all done, you will be looking in the $7,000 arena. Possibly more and a big negative is that there aren't any intercoolers available yet. So you won't be able to get the 20-25 lbs of boost that is thrown around.

Cartuning turbo kit with the intercooler is about $5100 and comes with most of the stuff needed. You might want to consider pems/powerlog to help with the exhaust. You may also want a programmer as well to tune it to your car. This should put you into the mid-low 12's for about 2 grand less.

Stattama will also work and ZZPerformance historically has been a better company to go through if you read the last 2 years or so of forums from multiple boards. Matt has his head on his shoulders and will help customize your setup rather than out of the box. When it is said and done it will be a much better turbo system but cost about a grand more bringing you up to around $6000.

The GenV will get you there with a lot of other mods as well and cost the least amount but you will be spending a ton of time under the hood to accomplish it. I would say about the $4000 arena... possibly $5000.

On a personal not I'm hoping someone can throw about $10,000 at the Whipple for research and development and bring this thing out into the daylight. Unfortunately it is just a hyped up pipedream at this time until someone puts the effort into tuning it and beefing it up. Troy seems to have the best bet with all the money he has thrown into his engine.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:28 PM

Alright, great! Someone that is knowledgeable with turbos. Alright, so let me ask you a question... are you running a turbo on yours?

Also, do you have some contact information for this company? Because if what you are saying is true, I should be able to email them, and they should be able to give me a recipe for success.

I think that my biggest fear is that I do not want the turbo lag that alot of people talk about. You step on the gas, and there is a 2-3 second delay. Well, at least that is what I have heard. I also am hesitant because I have heard that turbos will KILL your engine internals alot sooner than a supercharger, because it is pushing SO Much more pressure into your engine...

I have also had alot of people tell me "It's not the Chevy way, blah blah blah" But I can justify it if I am whooping the crap out of some ricer that comes down the street even THINKING he has a chance.

I really do appreciate your help on this, and I look forward to a response

Old 06-25-2007, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: ExplosiveSoundz

Alright, great! Someone that is knowledgeable with turbos. Alright, so let me ask you a question... are you running a turbo on yours?

Also, do you have some contact information for this company? Because if what you are saying is true, I should be able to email them, and they should be able to give me a recipe for success.

I think that my biggest fear is that I do not want the turbo lag that alot of people talk about. You step on the gas, and there is a 2-3 second delay. Well, at least that is what I have heard. I also am hesitant because I have heard that turbos will KILL your engine internals alot sooner than a supercharger, because it is pushing SO Much more pressure into your engine...

I have also had alot of people tell me "It's not the Chevy way, blah blah blah" But I can justify it if I am whooping the crap out of some ricer that comes down the street even THINKING he has a chance.

I really do appreciate your help on this, and I look forward to a response

Ok, lets hit these 1 at a time. First I'll readily admit I wouldn't consider myself "knowledgeable." I understand the theories, and the mechanics but have no real life experiance installing them, playing with the boost, or understanding their power charts. I HAVE committed about 6 months of forum notes to memory though.

As for contact info: Stattama@aol.com This is for Matt Meekhof. This guy KNOWS what he is doing with turbos. Check out his page for some great info as well http://www.stattama.com/

Turbo lag is pretty much a thing of the past. It still exists but not as much as "the old boys club" says. Also in the grand scheme of things with the power that becomes available through a turbo in our cars smacks the hell out ofthesuperchargers. They just keep the air cooler do to their design. I still say that the supercharger is a more reliable unit. I haven't heard of any turbos taking a dump though.

As far as it's not the Chevy way is a bunch of horsesh!t. Chevy DEVELOPED a TURBO MONTE CARLO in 1980! http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/montecarlo.htm

This was the predecessor to the Buick Grand National which is one of the most recognized cars in the world. Once again a GM product and both were 231 engines.

To smack them some more, the first EVER production cars wither a turbo were an Oldsmobile Cutlass and a Chevrolet Corvair in 1962. It wasn't until a decade later that a nondomestic used a turbo. Read this Historyso you can smack the naysayers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo

It really wasn't until the Fast and Furious came out that everyone jumped on the "turbo's for ricers"bandwagon... one that needs to have the wheels come off.

Hope this info helps ya!

Old 06-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Well, I just sent an email off to 3800 performance asking them the recipe for success. I also am going to forward the same email to Matt, and see what I end up with. I really just want to know if I am going to end up having to change out the piston heads, or if I can get away with everything but that. But if I can end up putting a turbo on my monte, with mostly everything stock, and still beat the crap out of even a souped up mustang ( typical time for a mustang cobra with new catback and headers is 12.8) then I will be doing excellent. Not to mention the sound, is just incredible when you hear that turbo spinning up at a redlight

Thank you so much for your advice! I hope that one of these few gentlemen will be able to give me sound advice since I have emailed them.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:25 PM

Actually here is some email info I sent about a year ago. The Cartuning kit is quick to put it but is limited, Stattamas is customized. It really depends on your goals. After doing alot more research I found that my goals are limited to low-mid 12's. I want to keep my interior the same and fully functional. 11's are just out of the question for me and my goals.

Rob @ 3800performance is pretty good to work with, but he is the middleman. Kevin at Cartuning is the guy you would want to talk to. Also Rob doesn't have any "experiance" with modding cars. He is basically a guy that put up a REALLY good and informative website and farms everything out. ZZPerformance is the spot with experiance. They cost more in some situations, but the products are of higher quality and they have a VERY experianced staff.

[blockquote]
I'm looking to replace upgrade from the M90 SuperCharger on my 2004 Monte Carlo to a turbo kit. After researching the forums I'm still undecided as I don't have any conclusive information. I have narrowed it down to either a turbo from your company or the Cartuning turbo.[/align][/align]What I am looking for: Mid 11's and very good reliability on a daily driver without slicks or weight reduction.[/align]
[/blockquote]
To start out- this is a pretty big goal. Getting enough traction to run mid 11s is not going to happen with street tires. If you are talking about running ET Street radials or something, then maybe. But it would still require about 500 WHP to run mid 11s in that trim.[/align][blockquote]Their upgraded turbo "should" do the job in the high 11's with the stuff I have, and they havemuch more info on their website,but it's still $5,075 with the intercooler. 9.01 1/4 miles and alot of cars on clubgp shows experience hence the reason I'm looking to you.[/blockquote]
They do offer a complete kit that has been proven to work. However, I don't consider it a premium kit that can go to 500+ WHP. We have been there with several cars and can custom build your kit to match the power that you are looking for.[/align][blockquote]
[/align]With what I currently have, what do you have that can beat what they have. I like their Air-to-Air intercooler and I've seen that you have cars that have them, but nothing available on the website. Also I don't see enough info on tracktimes with the upgraded turbo options or reliability. The Stattama turbo is advertised running 10's, but it doesn't say what the addtional mods needed are or what the reliability is.[/align]
[/blockquote]
We offer Spearco air/air ICs as an upgrade and they are considered by most to be the best. Turbonetics turbos also come standard as big-shaft units. This adds some strength. They also have a 1 year unlimited warranty on the turbo.[/align][blockquote]
[/align]So what options can you hook me up with such as the Stattama, T-62, etc and what would installation costs be if I go with your company?[/align]
[/blockquote]
I would recommend a alrger turbo for the goals that you mentioned. Our T66 or possibly a T70 kit with headers would be more suitable for your goals. I can quote you on custom kits if you would like.[/align][/align]Thanks for your interest in our products.

Matt M

Quick Reply: Whipple vs. Turbo ?