Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Weird Noise On Hard Turns..

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Weird Noise On Hard Turns..

hey guys, everytime i make a hard turn i hear this weird like groan that i think is coming from the power steering pump. it stinks cause i want to have a little fun and make a quick turn ect and it makes this wierd noise. i could just be making a turn normally too and if i hit a bump on the turn it makes a "buzz" noise too. the fluids are all good. maybe my pumps on its way out? how much do these usually cost?

thanks

Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM

I literally just went through this and I replaced a lower control arm where the bushing was bad. But the groan continued it turns out near the oil filter is a plastic dirt shield that my tire was rubbing against making a loud groan whenever I cut a hard turn. So all I did was modify the plastic and it doesn't rub anymore thus no more groaning. Believe me I thought it was my pump but it something stupid, its worth taking the tire off and checking.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Another quick tip, sometimes some metal shavings from use gets in the reservoir so what I would recommend is get one of those telescopic magnets used for grabbing tools and such and dip it in the reservoir and the magnet should grab some of the crap in there.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

I know that the cost around $50 to $60 for the pump AND A $10 to $15 core charge IDK the labor and install time though ?

Last edited by Blazed SS; 02-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM

On what the control arm?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM

I have this same problem, but it's my rack and pinion. One wat I know you can test it to see if it's the rack and pinion is when you're parked see if it's hard to steer. Rev it a little and see if it gets easier to steer.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by brendan127
One wat I know you can test it to see if it's the rack and pinion is when you're parked see if it's hard to steer. Rev it a little and see if it gets easier to steer.
Not sure how good a test that is. To my knowledge, the performance of the rack does not change if you rev the engine, but the power steering pump does (as you are moving it's pulley faster).

Not saying the rack is good or bad, I'm just not sure if that's a good test.

With the groan, I am more suspecting the pump. But the buzzing noise, not sure on the relation on that one. Unless it's a wheel hub. I've heard wheel hubs make different noises. The question is, does the noise occur when you make a left or a right? If it makes it only making a turn on one direction, I lean on wheel hub.

There is a way to know which hub and I always mix it up. I believe if you turn the wheel to the right and the noise goes away, it's the left bearing.... And then reverse it for the right bearing. But do a search on the web, I know that topic has been discussed before.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anytime I've seen a bad rack and pinion it has been leaking. The last one i changed on my van would pour fluid out when you turned it lock to lock. But I'm not sure if that is true with all bad racks.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Not sure how good a test that is. To my knowledge, the performance of the rack does not change if you rev the engine, but the power steering pump does (as you are moving it's pulley faster).

Not saying the rack is good or bad, I'm just not sure if that's a good test.

With the groan, I am more suspecting the pump. But the buzzing noise, not sure on the relation on that one. Unless it's a wheel hub. I've heard wheel hubs make different noises. The question is, does the noise occur when you make a left or a right? If it makes it only making a turn on one direction, I lean on wheel hub.

There is a way to know which hub and I always mix it up. I believe if you turn the wheel to the right and the noise goes away, it's the left bearing.... And then reverse it for the right bearing. But do a search on the web, I know that topic has been discussed before.

its either way i turn. if im goin like 25+ nd hit a little bump it makes like a buzz like noise. its weird.. it makes me believe its the power steering pump

idk its confusing

Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM

Just had rack and pinion done at the dealer :/ after several shops failed to locate the problem, my monte was making a ridiculous whine on acceleration and making sharp turns. Cost me $980 after parts and labor.

Quick Reply: Weird Noise On Hard Turns..