Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

We

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Default We

I have a 2000 Monte with 152K, I know, it's a lot of miles. The body real clean, but I just spun my connecting rod. Since my engine is pretty much done for, I was thinkin about maybe doin somethin unique to beef it up, is there something I could do to it, or would it just be better to put in another 3.8?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Default RE: We

Hi Kris, from Pittsburgh, Ks
&
Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family Forum.
Be Patience and we have several members that will post
their suggestions/links for you to consider.
If you want more power I would consider a SuperCharger, or
check your area salvage yards for a wrecked 04 Monte SC.
Are you the original owner ?
There are several 3.8L with over 1/2 million miles with no
major overhauls. The 3.8L has proven to be bulletproof `if
it is maintained/servived : )
Check back often, and I am sure some of our expert members
will give some good advice for you to consider.
Keep us updated on your decision.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
from `Space

Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 PM

what are you looking for in the car,
if you werent satisfied with the power before tha mayby find a junked supercharged monte and swap it.
or if you loved the engine the way it was then replace and be happy

Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Depends on how good you are with tools, and how deep your pockets are. We have a GP at work with over 250K miles, and running fine. Easy way is to put in a used 3.8N/A, IF you can find one, but the L67 is always an option. You will have to replace or beef up your trans if you go that route. My Intimidator SS has the 4T65E-HD tranny, HD axles, larger fuel line, and a larger fuel pump. You would need a matching PCM for it also.
Like Space said, the 3.8 N/A is pretty bullet proof, IF it's maintained properly. I (we) have OVER 600,000 miles on vehicles using synthetic oil, and never had ANY engine issues. 95 Blazer had 166k when sold, and the wifes Silverado has 198K right now, and uses no oil. I HIGHLY recommend going to Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil for your N/A engines, and Mobil 1 or Royal Purple XPR for your boosted vehicles.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 AM

Since my engine is pretty much done for, I was thinkin about maybe doin somethin unique to beef it up, is there something I could do to it, or would it just be better to put in another 3.8?
A rebuild is definitely not worth it- just get another 3800- either a L36 or L67. Your spun bearing was likely a fluke or a result of abuse (not saying you don't take care of the car or anything).

but the L67 is always an option. You will have to replace or beef up your trans if you go that route. My Intimidator SS has the 4T65E-HD tranny, HD axles, larger fuel line, and a larger fuel pump.
His stock fuel pump and lines will be fine for an L67 swap, especially stock.

As for the trans- he could just do the HD upgrade to his tran (diff, diff housing, pass axle) for a lot cheaper, but that kinda depends what shape the trans is in. With 150k miles, it may not be a bad idea to look into a newer one.

It all kinda depends what you're going for- if you just want to fix it to sell it, fix it and drive near stock, or fix it and drive it with a lot of add on mods.