Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

V6 3800 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Default RE: V6 3800 turbo?

Depends what you are looking for. The cartuning turbo at 5 lbs will give you great power with little risk to the tranny or engine. You will still need to scan the engine to make sure you don't have issues, but the trany should handle it. If youwant to "safely" goto 10lbs, then you will need the HD upgrade that you can get from ZZperformance.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 PM

ok so say id go with the turbo and buy the HD upgrade. Put to about 10psi. How much of a horsepower gained would that be? Ruff estimate nothing special

Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 PM

if you dont know what parts you need, then you dont know enough to do it or maintain it. so im not going to sit here and give you a map and step by step just so you can get stuck and not beable to help yourself out of it.

i would recomend doing google searches for discriptions on how turbos work. and all the related parts... then search for forums like clubgp.com and others that have people who have done turbos. once you learn what you need to know then start building your kit.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:13 PM

David Z34, don't U want 2 do the homework 4
David Vipermann : )
David, have you considered NosSystem 4 your 01 SS ?
A shot of power when U need `it ?
Do some homework & check it out...I will search around
when time permits. Do like David Z34 advised, and
hit the Google's Search Engine.
Good Luck
`Space
[sm=nxsmile.gif][sm=happy046.gif]
David Z34, are U ready for Tropical Storm Berry this weekend ?
Hope it's E.Z. on the east coast

Old 06-01-2007, 09:14 PM

well to cut your search time... go to zzperformance.com or pfyc.com and you will see the cartuning turbo kit. but again i recomend doig the research to know whats going on first. that way you know more about whats going on.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 PM

I realy appreciate the help guys and trust me thats all ive been doing the past week haha. I just wanted to see if you guys have any additional information. Im also leaning towards supercharger but not really sure. Hopefully i can make my mind up by the end of the summer but thanks for the help guys keep the info coming!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Supercharger will be easyer and cheeper. will also save more on gas. wont be as fast, but still will be much faster then what you have now. its also safer for your trany

Old 06-07-2007, 08:23 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

about your transmission issue.... it will depend, as they say, on the psi of your turbo. i woudl recommned supercharging for "bang for the buck" and not have to messs with the tranny. these trannys are rated for 280 lbs-ft of torque. that turbo woudl probably put your around 325-350, thats an awful big push. they probably underrate them a little, but not that mcuh so when somebody ahs exactly 280 and screw up the transmission, they don't complain about GM lying about the capacity of it. it can probably take 290-300. you can run it with the stock tranny if you take it easy most of the time (being 90%). however, most people will tell you, and i can tell you from drivinga couple of 300hp+ cars (not owning them, just driving them some). when you got power, you will want to use it. the transmission could take it today, maybe tomorrow... but its days are truly numbered once you get over 300 lbs-ft of torque.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 PM

no best bang for buck is still a turbo. hp/dollar you cant beat it. either way SC or turbo 350 HP and 350lbs tq is still the same! the only diff is turbo lag will actaully be softer on the trany then a SC would be! but a SC will end up costing 30-50% more then a comparable turbo kit.

for lower HP #'s the SC is the best choice but when you want high power numbers Turbo is the best choice. and with high HP, trany needs to be upgraded no mater if your making the power with NO2, turbo, sc, or even a built NA motor!

the stock GTP trany the 4t65e-HD the same trany that comes with any SC's 3800 is known to be solid and reliable up to low 13's 1/4mile this is prob about 325 to just under 350 hp and comperble Tq #'s anything above this and the trany is doomed. yes some tranys can go out with much less power. as with any thing you need to not abuse the car.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Z34: What do you think of the following? I know it doesn't change any other internals, but it does help eliminate one of the bigger weak points, would for sure help times, and make the car much more controlable when getting on it. It's a GMPP part.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Parts/results.jsp?combinedinput=88958682

**just keep in mind, with a stock trans its probably not going to support the 900 hp it says below, but it will support a bunch more than stock. Plusit is supposed to reducetorque steer when accellerating. **
[align=left]88958682 NEW[/align][align=left]Torsen Differential (not shown)[/align][align=left]• Used in GM 4T65E Racing’s FWD drag racing programs[/align][align=left]• Tested to 900+ HP[/align][align=left]• In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this[/align][align=left]results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both[/align][align=left]drive wheels[/align][align=left]• In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Torsen[/align][align=left]biases power to the outside wheel, reducing insidewheel[/align][align=left]spin[/align][align=left]• Provides constant and infinitely variable drive[/align][align=left]• Power is transferred automatically without the use of[/align][align=left]normal friction[/align][align=left]• Extremely strong and durable, since it is gear operated[/align][align=left]• No plates or clutches that can wear out[/align][align=left]• Comes with new pinion gears already loaded[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Now, keep in mind, this is probably not going to support 900 HP with a stock trans. Just the differential is going to support more power.[/align]

Quick Reply: V6 3800 turbo?