Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

twin turbo an 85 ss 355

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Default RE: twin turbo an 85 ss 355

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...62433_-1_12017

this one here is 2 grand it looks to be the same

Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 PM

i understand countryboy. we r all on a budget. its just that every lil thing done to your combo is gonna affect the next thing in the chain. an example is... say u run the headsu got and gowith the cam u have chosen... when u add a turbo that cam is gonna be obsolete. not enough intake duration in the grind 2 work w/ a turbo let alone 2 of them. so u gotta buy another cam for the turbo set up plus new lifters... then ur valve springs are too weak 4 the cam... well, why just change the valve springs when the heads are off... might aswell port/polish em too. see what i mean? realistically for your budget u should aim a lil lower cause u gotta pay ur bills and trying to build that kinda motor is gonna eat some dough. i be glad to answer anything that i can to help u go the direction u wanna go.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:45 PM

I can be expensive but a guy here in Omaha,NE turbo'd a 350 and dropped it in a FORD Fairmont for under 5K. The car was sic, it won the Hot Rod Shootout a couple of months ago.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:51 PM

i hear ya! morethan 1 way to make it happen. a guy at the local track has a late 80's early 90's stang with the modular4.6L droppedin it... slightly modified w/ a turbo off a powerjoke. oops.. i mean powerstroke. it screams and was fairly affordable by usingparts and the engineout of the junkyard!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:41 PM

88ss, i have also looked into a super charger, and honestly i think it would look a hell of a lot meaner, i mena, its not everyday you see a blower stickin out of the hood (if i choose to put a bird catcher on also), and yea i know it would be better to do it all at once because if not itll end up being more expensive, and yea i understand everyone is on a budget and some peoples may be lower than mine, but priorities are first and i understand that also, not saying that you said that i dont understand anything i just said, hope that didnt confuse anyone, anyway, like i said on the last post, it will probly never happen, its just a thought most likely, but someday soon i hope if i happen to get the money i will be spendin some bucks on the car and getting it hopped up, it may even wait till tax time, about that 4.6 with the turbo from a powerstroke, uh wouldnt that lagg alot, i know those diesle turbos have some lagg in em, well i guess with a higher rate of exhaust flow it wouldnt, hmm i dunno but hey if it worked it worked, fullmonte, pm me with a list of mods that u did to your 400 besides bored 30 cause thats pushin alot of hp with being a sb with no nos, or at least a few, lol im sure you dont want everyone to know what alls done to it, and nothin against chevys here because i now own one, i am a ford guy when it comes to trucks and i belive stock to stock a powerstroke WILL pull a duracrap all over the place, lol im a ford truck guy, cars i dont care what it is ill drive it, well enough of the small talk off subject stuff this category is turbos and stuff, anyway, like i said, i have a tight budget to do alot at once and for some reason i just cant keep money, if i have it i spend it. im not too good at saving,never have been

Old 11-24-2007, 12:29 AM

I think a single turbo would be more efficient than two turbos
just my two cents

Old 11-24-2007, 09:33 AM

yeah find out your buget first and what you want out of your motor
and we here can help you out with ideas and partsbut you need a buget and a plan first
like do you want your motor to be streeable
does it have to be smog legal ?
do you want it n/a or a power adder(S/C ,NOS, T/C )
and i am sure that ther is more Q to be asked but i forgot them but when i build my motor i did not car about gas millage or emmisions or anything like that i wanted the most power full monte the my little town had ever seen !and with that said i started my build !

Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 PM

does not have to be smog legal, yes streetable driving, to have alot of power from n/a engine would be sweet but id like to either do a turbo or super charger, not a big fan of nos, still have decent gas milage preferred, id just like to be able to beat a srt-4 and alot of the mustangs around here, mostly be able to beat my buddy's mustang that he thinks is so bad ace, it has 5.0 ho, bbk full length headers, bbk x pipe, some other exhaust, bored 30 over, full msd ignition including distributor and coil, cobra intake, 70mm throttle body and spacer, k&n filter, k&n mass airflow sensor, tremec 5 speed, 4.11 gears, full posi, big ace crane cam, aluminum heads, its pushing around 350 hp and closer to 375 torque, if you guys can get me a engine that will beat his for under 1500 that would be sweet, or at least match his hp and torque, i found a 6 speed tranny for a couple hundred from a ws6 i plan on puttin in, and a limited slip or posi lock would be nice for my rear end

Old 11-25-2007, 07:57 AM

well if you really want to beat your friends rustang and and have the braging rights i would do a n/a motor because you cant compare a bosted motor to a n/a it's just like comparing apples to bananas its not the same
you said that the motor just got a rebuilt not to long agoright ? so that is a good start did you go stock rebuilt or did you add so compression ?
a airgap intake manifold and good 750cfm carb of your choice a set of headers and true duals 2.5 a good cam to go with the set up roller rockers and ignition system should wake that car up some good and should be just about enuf to beat that rustang
oh and what kind of trans do you have in that monte ? a shift kit and stall torque is allwayz a good thing and you should get a 3.73 limited slip diff if you monte does not already have it

Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 PM

yea it was rebuilt, unsure of compression ration or anything, bored 30 over, as far as i know no cam just stock, definetly no aftermarket intake or carb, just has headers and chrome valve covers and wieand chrome air cleaner, 350 turbo trans with a shift kit, it will chirp in second and 3rd sometimes depending on the rpm i shift at

Quick Reply: twin turbo an 85 ss 355