Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Default RE: turbo or supercharger

I heard they have a gen 5 kit coming out. I was going to get a CSC (paxton Novi) but it seems Paxton raised the price of all there products a horrid amount.Now the kit that I wanted will be $4,750 intercooled. Ohh wee, that's a whole lot of money; I might just do a L-67 swap after my ZZP tranny.

Or wait to see about the progress on the Gen 5 M90 kit....

Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 PM

I think im just going to wait until I can get enough money to do a full build. Engine and Tranny

Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 PM

You could do a kit, but honestly, emailing Ed Morad about the Gen V blower would be a cheaper alternative. There really isn't a
kit per ser, more of just a swap. If you already decide to go with an L67 Swap, then all you would need would be a Gen V blower and the LIM that comes with them. Also, you might even want to consider looking for an L32 engine, which IS the Gen V =)

Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM

Oh, and incase you are curious, the ZZP tranny, on a base build, will take alot of abuse, and Tim said that they will handle low 13's, so before you dump ALL of that money into the highest tranny they have to offer, consider calling them, give them what your goal is, and they can help you from there. Like I said, their base tranny handles low 13's, and I think he said their high end will take ALOT of abuse.

Also, my Gen V AND LIM cost me 795 shipped from Ed, to my door. A new throttle body from ZZP (northstar) costs another 350 or so, and a full size intercooler (usually about 40-50hp gain in one afternoon) costs 1000. So for around 2150 or so, you can have a Gen V Intercooled. That should give you AWESOME power, but great daily driveability, and might be able to even stay on your stock
tranny for a bit, provided you don't do burnouts and ease onto the accelerator =)

I might have rambled a bit much.. sorry

Good Luck!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I have looked into a L-32; it's the higher output motor : ), but I have parts on my L-36 that I would like to swap over to the L-67,if that’s what I choose to do and I don’t know if they will fit an L-32.

And, what’s that about putting a gen V???I can't just put a blow on an L-36...

Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Turbo would be your best bet. Better fuel milage and much more power than a supercharger. The turbo is simply the best mod you can do to your car in the end.

It is also easier on the tranny as the supercharger throws down the torque immediately while the supercharger puts it too the wheels. The turbos don't have the lag they used to have in the 80's and are much better now.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 PM

All you need is the topend swap, as in, valvetrain... and you actually would benefit more from a turbo... esp with a higher compression ratio :-)

Old 12-02-2007, 01:27 AM

It depends on what your using it for. If you want instant boost, a supercharger is your best bet due to being crank driven. A turbo is more effiecient and in my opinion the better option, however, this debate has been beaten to death. If your drag racing and you want to make any real power, the turbo is the way to go. It all comes down to what you want. Turbo lag vs Instant boost. Higher boost vs Lower boost. BOV noise vs Whine[8D]. Most cars can handle alittle boost on a stock motor/trans. Oh, and boost works better with lower compression, not high. Turbos still lag, especially if you don't flow enough air and its harder to boost off the line with an auto trans. Make sure before selecting a turbo, you familiarize yourself with a compressor map. Just my .02. Just make sure you get that turbo intake SEALED! Don't wanna drive down the road and POP there goes the intercooler pipe.

14B FTW!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:38 PM

Higher compression means that the turbo, or blower, would have to work less to give you the same amount of power, so it would actually be easier on the external power adder...

Old 12-02-2007, 12:56 PM

This is a tough call. The higher compression will produce more power with less boost with increased possiblility of KR. The lower compression allows more controlled boost, but you will have to compramise on the turbo size or on the supercharger you may run out of pulley.

Either higher boost or higher compression is going to create more heat. If you can cool it (turbos are naturally cooler as well) I would get the higher compression. I wouldn't go more than 9.5:1 on our supercharged engines though. Tuning would be a real PITA!!!! More concerns with temperature of ambiant air and the quality of the fuel you use.

Quick Reply: turbo or supercharger