Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

turbo Q!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2 on the tranny and good luck!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:19 PM

With the Z3 kit I wouldn't worry much about the transmission. The Z3 isn't going to place a lot of stress on the engine, but if the engine/trans are already under stress: ex, cylinders losing compression due to valve float/piston rings worn; trans shifting faulty, then i would take care of that before you install a power adder. If later you decide that the Z3 kit isn't giving you the power you want, you can always upgrade to a bigger turbo but keep in mind that the bigger you go, the more stress you're placing on the engine/trans/diff/axles and you will have to upgrade components.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM

i will check that x2 out. Like i said im still in research mode and just want the right turbo.
You don't have to worry about that at all if you buy a kit. Call them up, tell them how much power you want to make, and they can probably sell you a kit that will make the power you want (unless you're being ridiculous with the power goal).

Also thats the thing i work in a fab shop. Im in good with the boss and he wouldnt mind at all if i brung some parts in to fab.
If you work in a fab shop that does turbo systems- shouldn't they have a supplier for turbos, and they should also be able to tell you exactly which turbo will be best suited for your engine by looking at the compressor maps supplied by the vendors, etc.

I just like to know if they carry 700 hp like some turbo kits say on ebay!?
There are no ebay 3800 turbo kits that I've seen (unless someone is either reselling a major vendor's kit online, or they're selling used).

Secondly- do you mean 700 whp or 700 bhp; there is a big difference. If you're looking at 700 whp, its obviously doable. Stattama's single turbo did 870 whp- but that thing is a vendor's personal car, so they have virtually unlimited resources. For some random guy (especially if you don't have much experience with cars or 3800s)- 700 whp on a 3800 is going to be nearly impossible unless you bring a bunch of money ($10k++) and drop the car off at a vendor.

700 crank hp is a different story- that's about 560whp. Take a look at the record hp page for 3800's:

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

There are quite a few turbo 3800's doing 560whp+; but as you probably realize- they're pretty heavily modded. You're going to need a turbo specific cam, and other supporting mods. Also realize that these cars are not the peoples daily drivers- they have alternate cars, because they all do break- you're talking 3.5x stock power (200 to 700), and lots of aftermarket parts.

My suggestion if you're truly serious about making that kind of power- find a GMR 1" transmission chain ASAP and buy it. They're not made/sold anymore by GMR, so you'll have to find one for sale through a vendor or various forums. From what I remember, I think they sell for like $1k just for the chain set.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM

The 1" chain are like unobtanium, lol, hard to find. Any news on who maybe making those chains in the near future?

OP, it takes a lot of money, tuning, performance parts, more tuning, more money, did I mention tuning? Go to clubgp.com, 3800 forum, or even here in this forum and you'll see all that's involved when adding a power adder.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 AM

I've got the Cartuning kit on my 03ss Kevin the guy who is running the company is difficult to get along with sometimes, that being said the kit is the most complete kit i've seen for the price and it works great with the intercooler. At 7psi the trans is fine for now until I ram more boost down it's throat. I've seen pics of the ZZP kits installed and I dont like them once installed I think it's because they use the stock MAF sensor where Cartuning give u a new MAF. Anyways all together the cost was $5500 with intercooler and he is based in Canada which was good for me cause I'm in Canada so no brokerage fees or any other ridiculous charges.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM

The 1" chain are like unobtanium, lol, hard to find. Any news on who maybe making those chains in the near future?
They pop up on cgp every now and then- bad thing is, it seems like they're selling for more than they were originally new since they're getting scarce. I saw a thread awhile back where some people were looking into vendors for replacement chains- not sure what ever happened with that since I decided to go a different route with my monte.

the kit is the most complete kit i've seen for the price and it works great with the intercooler.
IMO cartuning was great when it was the only option- but I like all the options you have with the ZZP kits.

Cartuning: $3500 for the only kit, PT-61 is the only turbo option. IC is $1000 extra

ZZP Z3: $2300 for the base kit with a 56mm BW turbo; optional 250 extended tip turbo for $450 more. A-A IC is $1000 extra, or a M90 W-A for $600 extra.

ZZP Z7: $3000 for the base kit with a 62-1 turbo. Same two options for IC as the Z3 kit. Can use Stattama kit parts to upgrade later.

ZZP-Stattama: $3600 for the base turbo kit with a T67 (optional T70, T72, or T76 turbo in either ball bearing or standard). 4 intercooler options including oversized A-A, and W-A. Optional twin charge setup.

The Z7 kit's turbo (which is roughly the same as the cartuning kit) was switched for just the base stattama T4/T67 turbo and downpipe and the car made 70 extra whp in the upper rpm!

IMO, you can't beat the range of options ZZP offers in price range and flexibility to get the exact setup and power you want. Only major upside I've seen to cartuning is they have the only LS4 turbo kit.

I dont like them once installed I think it's because they use the stock MAF sensor where Cartuning give u a new MAF.
IMO, if they can run the stock MAF fine, I'd rather have that- less extra parts to mess with and less clutter in the engine bay since its built into the TB.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 PM

I will stay clear of the ebay turbos!!Now when you say"beef my transmission" are you saying upgrades or new transmission?

Thanks

Last edited by brokensmile3800; 10-17-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If your tranny is fine, then you will want to upgrade the internals of the tranny. Personally, I'm looking at TEP for my tranny. I'm not sure when I'm going to do the upgrades to the tranny, but I've heard that TEP does great work. Here's a link to there website: http://tripleedgeperformance.com/

Contact them and they will send you in the right direction.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Cool I will check that site out. Thanks

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 PM

Now when you say"beef my transmission" are you saying upgrades or new transmission?
Either way, its the same thing. There are no other transmissions that directly drop/bolt in- so you're going to need to run a built 4t65. You could send yours in for a rebuild and upgrades, or you can buy an already rebuilt "new" one with the upgrades already done.

If you're truly looking at 700 hp (wheel or crank)- its not like you're going to get away with doing a few upgrades here and there on your current trans- it will need a full on trans build, no questions. I'd probably guess $4-5k+ for the trans alone. Stock transmissions even break on stock power sometimes (especially look at the LS4 guys- only running 300hp and still breaking the best factory built 4t65hd's out there bone stock)- and you're talking running more than double that power level.

Not sure what your plan is for axles, but I know PRJ was working out a solution for the GMR Porsche axle adapters for Jonbob's car. If you're planning on gutting it and making it a full on drag car like ZZP or something, maybe you could get away with well built stock axles?

Quick Reply: turbo Q!!