Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbo Charger or Super Charger? Bad for tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:24 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats more correct

And horsepower is horsepower. If it makes you all feel better my friend doing his 11s for 2k build with a gtp doesn't even run a filter at the track. The hot air doesn't make that huge of a difference. If you bring in cold outside air, its going to warm up in the intake/throttle body anyway. Also, cars have run carbs/intakes for years, sucking in hot air and they have made absolute gobs of horsepower with it. A bigger intake is a bigger intake, unrestricting it with a $15 filter will do you just as much good for your car as putting that $15 filter in a $200 box.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Also, cars have run carbs/intakes for years, sucking in hot air and they have made absolute gobs of horsepower with it. A bigger intake is a bigger intake, unrestricting it with a $15 filter will do you just as much good for your car as putting that $15 filter in a $200 box.
But newer cars have computers that scan all this stuff - if the car senses it's getting hotter air coming in, it will pull timing, killing your power.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

i honestly don't think i've ever seen a supercharger for the LS4. Even if there was one, you'd have absolutely no room to mount it, run belts, etc.

Also, you'd be going through tranny's like you wouldn't believe. Even though it's "HD", it can barely handle stock power.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
But newer cars have computers that scan all this stuff - if the car senses it's getting hotter air coming in, it will pull timing, killing your power.
How much does it pull? I bet the air isnt much hotter then the air sitting in that stock box.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:52 AM

How much does it pull? I bet the air isnt much hotter then the air sitting in that stock box.
Good argument

If you don't plan on doing anything else to the car though, maybe a cold air box might help you on long runs in city in summer. BUT the times for winter, and the times when I am on highway going like 60-120+mph, I think It matters less.

Honestly when I got my first intake, I got it to save gas, and save myself the many trips to get a cabin filter replacement(I also didn't know what engine I had in the car too at that time, like what is a i4,v6,v8 etc? back in like 07 or 08) But got a ebay intake(still feel ripped off, so I told myself from now on, it's custom build intake if I ever do another air intake). Didn't know how to install, just asked a friend with more knowledge at the time. Strapped the pcm, watched him do everything... Drove off, didn't care for gas mileage(of course I never got higher than 22mpg ever yet... my past year I have been getting 15-17 especially with turbo now...). Became power hungry. A very serious disease I must say, like why does it matter how fast the acceleration is etc... I dunno till this day, I guess the rush from modding for power is just addictive.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by NarutoV2
Good argument

If you don't plan on doing anything else to the car though, maybe a cold air box might help you on long runs in city in summer. BUT the times for winter, and the times when I am on highway going like 60-120+mph, I think It matters less.

Honestly when I got my first intake, I got it to save gas, and save myself the many trips to get a cabin filter replacement(I also didn't know what engine I had in the car too at that time, like what is a i4,v6,v8 etc? back in like 07 or 08) But got a ebay intake(still feel ripped off, so I told myself from now on, it's custom build intake if I ever do another air intake). Didn't know how to install, just asked a friend with more knowledge at the time. Strapped the pcm, watched him do everything... Drove off, didn't care for gas mileage(of course I never got higher than 22mpg ever yet... my past year I have been getting 15-17 especially with turbo now...). Became power hungry. A very serious disease I must say, like why does it matter how fast the acceleration is etc... I dunno till this day, I guess the rush from modding for power is just addictive.
It's a terrible disease. I'm pretty sure if I get my 86 to be an 11 second car by some miracle, I would still want 10s...etc. So much fun isnt it though?

Old 12-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Jester_20
i honestly don't think i've ever seen a supercharger for the LS4. Even if there was one, you'd have absolutely no room to mount it, run belts, etc.

Also, you'd be going through tranny's like you wouldn't believe. Even though it's "HD", it can barely handle stock power.
i wanted to do the turbo kit awhile back. but didnt want to spend the money for a TEP trans rebuild on top of the turbo. Even with the rebuild it seems like there is a good chance that it may break. 500WHP is asking alot out of that tranny

Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 PM

depending on the setup the temps can be 50* higher! engine bay temps can and are in most cases 120+* and right above the exhaust cross over i would guess they are more like 140+ i know on the DOHC, and 3800's after 108* it pulls 1* then at 122 it pulls like 3* of timing going up to 6* for like 140*

so you could potentially loose a lot of timing. if you have access to a tuner you could set it so it doesnt pull timing... i have heard people have done dyno tests and have found with boost it doesnt matter the temp of the air, so long as your getting enough air. for example an NA car could benifit from a FWI where as a SC car likes a big 4" dia neck filter giving it more air. im am thinking that for NA it could be the lenght of the piping that forces the air to increase velocity and that higher velocity of the FWI carries thru the TB and speeds the airflow thru the intake manifold... and since the Turbo or SC is doing the work it just needs more air.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:29 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
depending on the setup the temps can be 50* higher! engine bay temps can and are in most cases 120+* and right above the exhaust cross over i would guess they are more like 140+ i know on the DOHC, and 3800's after 108* it pulls 1* then at 122 it pulls like 3* of timing going up to 6* for like 140*

so you could potentially loose a lot of timing. if you have access to a tuner you could set it so it doesnt pull timing... i have heard people have done dyno tests and have found with boost it doesnt matter the temp of the air, so long as your getting enough air. for example an NA car could benifit from a FWI where as a SC car likes a big 4" dia neck filter giving it more air. im am thinking that for NA it could be the lenght of the piping that forces the air to increase velocity and that higher velocity of the FWI carries thru the TB and speeds the airflow thru the intake manifold... and since the Turbo or SC is doing the work it just needs more air.
Good points sir!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 PM

that is one of the resons why i got the trans cooler for my monte to help every thing to keep cool. plus having a extra fan put in for the cooler as well it comes on when the engine fan comes on. i got the dealer to put it on when i got the monte. they comected the fan to the radiator fan as well i know heat is a killer of every thing. from hp to life of the power train as well as lack of cooling reduces of the fun and enjoyment of what you have done so far as tun cia to built engine and trans. i doubt that any one hear will due what i done but i would also sugest to put one on for the longjevity for the trans as well to ensure to help it keep cool to help the hp to stay there. pluse i dont think any one here wants to put in a 3-4k moded trans for there monte to match there hp sooner then later

Quick Reply: Turbo Charger or Super Charger? Bad for tranny?