Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tune Up Coming.. Help with Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tune Up Coming.. Help with Checklist

Alright guys.. I'm abotu to do a big tune up on my car... heres what I think i wnat to do...

90,000 miles, 5 years old.

New wires, new plugs (need help on which ones to get)
New Coils (leaning towards GM stock... hear some good and bad about all aftermarkets)

New Fuel Filter
New Cabin Air Filter

I tried to post on this awhile back when the forum was screwy... can anybody else give me some help?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Default RE: Tune Up Coming.. Help with Checklist

Ok...

first off, dont replace the coils. There is no reason too. Clean up the terminals a little with a scotch brite pad and some elctrical grease and save yourself 150.00

As for plugs...im not too sure what the n/a guys are running so maybe someone else could chime in....but the factory wires are more than enough for your application (unless your just looking to add some color to the engine compartment).

Check your tranny fluid and if its not burnt, just a little dark i would recomend changing the fluid and filter.

Drain the coolant and flush out the dexcool REALLY good. Try to get any old sludge build-up out. Might as well replace your T-Stat with a 180 while your at it.

Get some MAF cleaner and spray down the sensor (or a little bit of brake clean...same stuff). Other than that, you got the main idea. Dont forget to check the PCV...

Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 AM

5 Year Member

yeah... the coils i heard that after awhile they start causing a miss every so often on one cylinder or so.. not even really enough that the computer on the car detects it.. you have to have a laptop and a dyno. seems like it was Wayne who said this when he went to ZZP but i could be wrong

Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Hi `Duane,
Below are a few sites to check out.
Keep us updated on what you do & the results.
Good Luck `Space
[:-]
Get Ready for Summer Travel - Tune Up Your Car
Advance Auto Parts has developed a tune-up checklist, available in all stores and on-line, to save money and improve gas mileage.
www.theautochannel.com/news/2003/04/30/160370.ht... - 46k - Similar pages
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...30/160370.html
Ready to save gas checklist - Advance Auto Parts
Our Ready to Save Gas Checklist will help you increae engine performance and gas mileage. ... Inspect them during tune up, replace if corroded or worn. ...
www.advanceautoparts.com/english/rtsg/checklist.... - 49k - Similar pages
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl.../checklist.asp
SR20DE Tuneup and Troubleshooting Guide: Tune-up Checklist
SR20DE Tuneup and Troubleshooting Guide: Tune-up Checklist ... Any auto parts store has a heavy-duty meter that can tell you voltage and current output, ...
www.se-r.net/engine/troubleshooting_guide/tuneup... - 23k - Similar pages
http://www.se-r.net/engine/troublesh...de/tuneup.html
How Much Should a Tune Up for Your Car Really Cost?
So my car tune up price would probably be much higher than a shop that only replaces spark plugs as their auto tune up package. ...
www.trustmymechanic.com/htmlmessage4.html - 39k - Similar pages

Old 07-03-2008, 08:18 AM

Duane,

a quick way to diagnose the coils is with an Ohm Meter. Measure the resistance between the posts on each individual coil and simply make sure they arent too out of whack from each other. If you have one that is way off, than you know which one is bad and would need replacing.

good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:35 AM

5 Year Member

alright, thanks guys. as soon as i figure out exactly what wires and plugs i want, i'm going to do everything. o yeah, this will be a good saturday afternoon of work. i'm thinking of switching to synthetic while i'm at it. haven't made up my mind on that one yet though. i may do it in September or so when I will need another oil change anyway.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:46 PM

I'm abou to do the same things...90,000 miles so it's time. My question, and I know it's be discussed on here many times, I'm just too lazy to search: what type of plugs and antifreeze do you guys recommend? it's a '02 n/a 3.8.

Welcome back Space!!! I started a personal boycott on here: no posting until Space returned. Glad to see you back!!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM

Duane, don't forget a PCV valve. So here's the list:
Plugs
Wires
PCV Valve
T-Stat
Tranny service
Fuel Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Looks like fun!!

I don't know what your wanting to do with the car, but really I don't quite agree with a 180* tstat...unless you're going to upgrade your car's performance and race it, I don't see a point. I could be wrong though. I was always told that it is bad for a motor to run at a temp less than what the recommend operating temp...but I know a lot of guys do it. I guess I'm asking what the benefit is over a stock temp tstat and if it is dangerous to run your car under temp. lol. Castrol is a great oil...both synthetic and non synthetics. Oh and on the Series II 3800's the ignition module is connected to the coils, so if you are missing I would take that in to an Auto Zone first and have it checked first. Coils don't usually go bad. I used a scotch brite pad and some electrical grease on my coil packs and haven't had a problem at all. bfurches said it right, LET THAT DEX COOL GO! ) lol. Let us know how it goes...I know I had a difficult time with the rear plugs, but I didn't have a good place to work on the car and get under it and what not. lol.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM

5 Year Member

alright....

i got a record where the previous owner did a flush of hte transmission and the radiator at about 50,000 miles.... i don't know if i'm going to worry about that or not.

BTW, my experience has shown Castrol as being some of the cheapest crap you can put in your car.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:23 AM

on the 4t65 trans...DO NOT FLUSH! I cant stress this enough. Simply drain the fluid and pop in a new filter, do not use any type of machine or bring it to any shop to have them flush the trans. Upon inspection of the tras stick, if you find there to be excess clutch material (silverish gray material), do not bother draining the trans. The clutch material in the fluid is what keeps the tranny kicking, aspecially if you are experiencing any minor slips. Draining the fluid would only dramatize these effects. So plain and simple, if its a little dark, drain and refill. If there is any material on the stick, or really burnt fluid, leave it alone.

As for t-stats, there is no harm in going down a range of roughly 20*. On the l36/ l67 motors, all of the timing maps are relevant to coolant temperature vs. IAT. When coolant temperature is lower (i.e. colder t-stat), your vehicle will run more agressive timing.

For instance...have you ever gone out to your car after it sat for a long time, and for the first few minutes it felt like it was running a lot quicker until it begins to warm up? This is the vehicle advancing the timing in relation to what the sensors are feeding it.

Naturally, a cooler running car will see more timing, hence more performance. You may sacrafice a few MPG, but I doubt it would even be noticeable. Running a car at 180 vs 200 will NOT hurt anything. People have even run as low as 160 in the l67 community through the summer flawlessly.

Quick Reply: Tune Up Coming.. Help with Checklist