Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): trouble code p0440

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default trouble code p0440

So I got the bluetooth obd scanner and this was the code I had accidentally deleted. I screenshot this from my app when I scanned the car but not sure what it means and where to start looking/ replacing here's the pics

Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Here's some info from the shop book about P0440 (I can get more info from the shop book if needed):

The control module tests the evaporative emission (EVAP) system for a large leak. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal to determine the EVAP system vacuum level. When the conditions for running are met, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge valve OPEN and the EVAP vent valve CLOSED . This allows engine vacuum to enter the EVAP system. At a calibrated time, or vacuum level, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge valve closed, sealing the system, and monitors the FTP sensor input in order to determine the EVAP system vacuum level. If the system is unable to achieve the calibrated vacuum level, or the vacuum level decreases too rapidly, this DTC sets.

•Inspect the EVAP system for the following conditions:
• Loose, missing, or damaged service port schrader valve
• Loose, incorrect, missing, or damaged fuel fill cap
• A damaged EVAP canister purge valve

•Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
•Inspect the EVAP system for the following conditions:
• Disconnected, improperly routed, kinked, or damaged EVAP pipes and hoses
• A damaged EVAP canister vent valve or EVAP canister

Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks jason don't shops have scanners that pinpoint the issue?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:44 PM

10 Year Member

In regards to a GM, a lot of shop book data refers you to make use of the GM Tech II scan tool.
What I posted was direct quotes from the shop book (I did not have time to read all that was in the article beyond what I posted). But the items that were bullet-ed were some of the first steps the shop book informed to do (not sure this code will have much data for the Tech II). But keep in mind, you'll pay for a shop to run their diagnostic tool just to pinpoint what is wrong. Hopefully it's something more visual and easy to spot.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member

well my gf took the car to her mechanic and according to him he said its because of a sensor inside the gas tank or on the fuel pump, now to me that dont sound rigt but i just wanted you guys opinion, the check engine light comes on a bit frequently and i just clear it but i changed the gas cap and im still having this problem

Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
well my gf took the car to her mechanic and according to him he said its because of a sensor inside the gas tank or on the fuel pump, now to me that dont sound rigt but i just wanted you guys opinion, the check engine light comes on a bit frequently and i just clear it but i changed the gas cap and im still having this problem
It may not have been the gas ap at all...but possibly a return line to the fuel tank...
Do you smell gas?
When I had an evap code...turned out I had air leaking into whats suppose to be a sealed system... I merely found a pin size hole in my return line...

So,
I resolved it by using shrink tube on it.. ( I know it wasn't very smart to use an open flame on a fuel line). Then I used a separate piece of rubber fuel line and covered it over where I put the shrink tube.... and walla code gone...no leaks, ...

Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member

Yea, I deff wouldnt have the guts to attempt that. I'd b scared of blowing up. But no I smell no gas what so ever. This one gonna annoy me. I shall research more

Old 10-20-2013, 09:22 PM

10 Year Member

I don't recall what code the wife's Mustang was throwing a year or two ago, but it too was an evap code. I found Ford covered the fill neck for the gas tank with a large piece of wire loom material. Once I removed it, I never put it back on. Small holes in the fill tube.

Solved that with light use of a wire brush (nothing aggressive, just clean off the flaky debris). Coat it with POR15 rust inhibiting paint, then JB Weld, then a second layer of JB Weld and lastly, another layer of POR15. Code went away on it's own, I never had to even clear it.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM

I have a 2003 ls Monte and after several security pass lock issues. I got a p0440 and when the obd2 scan tool ran the evaporation system the engine light came on with that code.so I bought a purge valve solenoid and reset the codes and the evaporation system ran while the car idled .like within ten min of previously reseting it and the evaporation monitor ran with a result of ok and no engine light. does that mean the problem is fixed or

Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Robbie2003
I have a 2003 ls Monte and after several security pass lock issues. I got a p0440 and when the obd2 scan tool ran the evaporation system the engine light came on with that code.so I bought a purge valve solenoid and reset the codes and the evaporation system ran while the car idled .like within ten min of previously reseting it and the evaporation monitor ran with a result of ok and no engine light. does that mean the problem is fixed or
it could mean that, give it a day or 2 and if it dont come back then id say its fixed

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): trouble code p0440