Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission questions

Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy Transmission questions

For the past few months now I've been having intermittent shifting issues which are getting more and more frequent. At first it was just mildy hard shifts from time to time. The past few days I've been experiencing some extremely hard shifts into first and second. Checked the tranny fluid and it's still a nice pinkish red, but there's quite a bit of dark gray dust stuck to my dip stick which I'm assuming is clutch dust. I've been doing a lot of research on GPF and the Bonneville club forums and have found a lot of good information for total rebuilds but still have a few questions.

The other day when leaving a restaurant I had on odd problem, when trying to get onto the main road from a dead stop the car drove about 4 feet without any problems, then all power to the wheels was lost, the engine rev'd to about 3500-4000 then the gears caught HARD, the wheels spun for a moment and jerked the car enough to hurt my neck , this was all happening with less than 15% throttle.

While I dont have much experience with trannys this doesnt sound like an issue typically caused by bad clutch plates. Does any one have other ideas as to what the problem is, or what combination of problems is destroying my trans? I'm preparing to buy a master rebuild kit from triple edge which includes the frictions, and steels plus a new bonded style valve body spacer plate.

4T65E Master Kit 2003+

I would like to get some other opinions before i purchase this and take the tranny out of my daily driver...

Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member

A few things I forgot to add, when idling at a stop sign or light, when the car is in drive I get an odd stutter and a good bit of vibration as though the car is trying to force itself to go, when its put into neutral it behaves fine. Also the majority of the time i only experience these issues once the trans has warmed up.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When Mine started acting that very same way....I ended up getting a complete rebuild....a soft rebuild will cure it temporarily....Like mine un fortunately..needed a complete hard rebuild..with the mileage on mine over 130,000...stuff just wears out....(drums etc)...

Some here have picked up trans for cheap from the bone yard and made out good...Others like myself just opted for a rebuild with a warranty....

Maybe someone else will chime in with other options...

Without knowing what year mileage motor etc,,,, Its kinda difficult to give you an exact answer...

Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM

First of all, it has no clutch nor clutch plates

Sounds like it might be the shift solenoids. Maybe the torque converter (the "clutch" you refer to)

source: experience

Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jimbo7
First of all, it has no clutch nor clutch plates

Sounds like it might be the shift solenoids. Maybe the torque converter (the "clutch" you refer to)

source: experience

Click To Enlarge
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The factory input clutch count is 4 friction and steel plates. This upgraded input clutch set includes 5 friction and steel plates. This is a 25% increase in surface area over the stock configuration and is a good upgrade for higher powered builds for extra holding power.
This clutch set will work in 2003+ GM and Volvo 4T65E transmissions.

• Item #: 4T65E-UPGIC-L
4T65E Upgraded Input Clutch Set 2003+

Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry

Click To Enlarge
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The factory input clutch count is 4 friction and steel plates. This upgraded input clutch set includes 5 friction and steel plates. This is a 25% increase in surface area over the stock configuration and is a good upgrade for higher powered builds for extra holding power.
This clutch set will work in 2003+ GM and Volvo 4T65E transmissions.

• Item #: 4T65E-UPGIC-L
4T65E Upgraded Input Clutch Set 2003+
I was about to post something similar lol.

Sorry i forgot to tell you guys, its an 03 SS with 136k

Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 PM

you guys are right. i was thinking in the sense of a automatic vs manual transmission. i'm still hungover from last night.

i read about the common issues and recalls for our car's trannys somewhere. can't find where, though.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most times with an automatic, if it revs up and bangs into gear, your tranny is going to need a rebuilt. It MIGHT be solenoids sticking but I'll be honest, I doubt it - especially with metal shavings in your fluid. You could try changing your fluid and filter, but again, I think it would be nothing more than a quick fix, if that.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Most times with an automatic, if it revs up and bangs into gear, your tranny is going to need a rebuilt. It MIGHT be solenoids sticking but I'll be honest, I doubt it - especially with metal shavings in your fluid. You could try changing your fluid and filter, but again, I think it would be nothing more than a quick fix, if that.
X2 fluid and filter change only made mine worse...

Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Take it to a transmission shop so they can scan the PCM for codes since you won't get any notification such as an engine light for a failing shift solenoid. Mine failed a few years back and the tranny shop found code P1811 stored in the PCM (Max adapt, long shift).

They replaced the shift solenoid and it's been shifting smoothly ever since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission questions