Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Default Transmission Help

Ok I have a 2004 Monte Carlo LS with the 3.4L in it. The tranny has been shifting kind of hard lately. It will occasionally feel like it is slamming into gear from a stop too. If I am gentle with it, no issues or just a minor slip feel.

I took it to a reputable trans guy and he gave me two options. One was to change some pressure valve for $500 and it would probably be ok or rebuild it with all the updates and hardened splines for $1200. He said that if he did the $500 fix that he couldn't offer a warranty because it is possible for other problems to exist. If I go with the rebuild then I get a 3/36 warranty.

The car has about 106K on it but otherwise runs really good. I plan to keep it for a quite a while too. The fluid wasn't burnt or anything when he dropped the pan, although he wasn't sure if it had ever been changed.

Which direction should I go with this?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Transmissions going out is a common problem with the car. I don't know what the weakness in the transmission is, although I'm sure it isn't this line he's talking about. I think if yo uwant to keep the car for awhile, you need to let him go ahead and replace it with a remanufactured or let this man rebuild it if he offers such a good warranty. 106k is about when they start to go.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

As a matter of fact a major contributor to our transmissions failing IS the pressure control solenoid. I still wouldnt just replace that part, if its bad, there is a good chance that it did some damage to your trans whether slight or severe. 1200 is a good price for a complete rebuild with updates and a warrantee. I say go for it.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

ive got the same problem from a stop im just waiting for it to pop so i can go with a nice new one lol

Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 AM

I agree with Matt! These trannys usually go for $1500. to have them rebuilt. If the tech's going to put hardened parts even better, and the warranty is a deff plus. If you can afford it go with the better clutch pack material which can handle more friction, heat and last a bit longer.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

$1200 is a great deal for a totally rebuilt tranny, with updated parts, and warranty! I say go for it. Spend the extra $700 now and just do the whole tranny, I think it will save you money in the long run.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 AM

my recommendation is too by a manual on your car and drop the trans yourself. you will save $600 right there. then go to a high-performance shop and tell them you want red alto clutches installed at stock height and the regular reconditioning. this will cost about $800 and i guarantee you will never have trans problems again, even if you beat on it.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

check the fluid? mines doing the same thing but only once in a while and if i beat on it it doesnt do it, so im thinking its just fluid

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

See its not actually the friction materials in the transmission that are the problem. Even if you were to upgrade the clutches you may still have the problem because these transmissions have a problem regulating pressure internally. My advise is to have the trans rebuilt and maybe have them install a mild shift kit while they are in there. When they rebuilt mine, they installed a mild shift kit and (now Im no trans tech so I dont know the exact process) they did valve work in the transmission to up the internal pressure as well. Overall Im pretty happy with the results. Shifts firm and I no longer have that lazy shifting feeling during everyday driving. $1688 out the door with a 1 year warrantee.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

ive heard that doing a trans flush is actually bad for older trans' because the fluid in currently is thicker and seeps into gaps whereas a more thin liquid would let things clunk more? any trueness in this?

Quick Reply: Transmission Help