Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Trans help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Default Trans help!

Hey, I have a 2000 Monte SS that's gone through 2 owners, so I knew I'd have problems with it. But it seems that when I accelerate the transmission doesn't know whether to shift up or down and the RPM starts "pulsing". You can also feel the vehicle pulling backwards and forwards. I'm not sure if you can tune shifting points or maybe there's some kind of sensor that's broken? I need help, I can feel my car's pain!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Default RE: Trans help!

Apparently someone told me that it's probably my air intake. So whatever you guys think, it would be awesome to know.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Any check engine lights?

Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Not a one! I had a mechanic check it out but they couldn't do anything because there's no code.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tranny problems are a real pain! Sounds like a pressure problem to me. I'd take it to an independent transmission shop for consulting. One that's been around for 60 years, and the grandson is now running it. Stay away from Aamco, as every tranny coming in needs rebuilding. Others aren't much better. My destroyed, blown tranny in my '01 SS LE only cost me $1,400. I've heard of double that!
Most transmission problems can be fixed without rebuilding, but not necessarily without pulling them. However, the tranny can be pulled without pulling the whole cradle. Still looking at a days work, out and in. Might be serviceable from the bottom, I can't say.
Shifting problems sounds like pressure problems to me.
Another possibility is the catalytic convertor, but this doesn't sound like that. That's a loss of power and weird shifting thang.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:12 PM

No, before you take it to a trans shop.. bring it to any mechanic and have them check the exhaust manifold pressure, before the cat converter/ubend. Bad cat's have been known to cause problems, and it really seems like a trans problem, but it's not..

I've heard from 3 ppl that have ur era car (2000-2003s, even 2004s) that thought it was the trans.. brought it to a shop. The shop, no matter what, is gonna say yeah, the trans need rebuilding (even if it's a BRAND new trans... seriously...) They get the trans rebuilt... and still have the exact same problem... then they get the cat replaced, and WOW< WHAT A DIFFERENCE....

Seriously... search transmission problems... one in 5 you bring up (if not more) will have been resolved by a cat replacement. GM had to extend their emissions equipmentwarranty to like over 100k miles if I remember rite.

If it doesn't end up being the cat, then good, you've spent maybe 40$ on testing it... then have the trans sensors checked... THEN if all else fails, have a shop drop the transpan, watch them do this, and let them show you WHYor IFitneeds rebuilding. Don't just leave it, then come back and find an estimate on ur seat. And be there to watch em.. I learned that lesson easy enough. 120$ wasted on testing is easier swallowed then a 600$ rebuild that didn't fix the problem you had it rebuilt for in the first place.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys, I'm new around this site and this helped loads!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 PM

Our pleasure! Let us know what the outcome is! If it was the trans I'll be surprised, but at least if you post a response we can learn a bit more, and know of what to expect.Rock'N is exactly right that it doesn't sound exactly like the other cars that had cat problems, but then again, no two sound exactly alike. When I had my 03 LS, it didn't have any RPM surge, or severe power loss like other ppl have reported, just the occasional hard shift, and only after I had been driving for awhile. I traded it in, but I talked to the ppl who bought it afterwards, and they had the Cat converter replaced. and it fixed the hard shift problem. They also had the trans rebuilt, but luckily the 5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty I purchased was transferrable, and they used that.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:22 PM

Does it only happen betwen 46-55mph? Does it happen on between specific gears (2-3 or 1-2, or 3-4?). Please be more specific if you can.

If it's shuddering around 50mph, then it could be something called TCC shudder, which is a common issue in the 4T65E. It's a bad TCC Solenoid, which needs replacing. These aren't that expensive, and a DIY could do it, but easier to get done by a tranny shop. Try and diagnose your problem first, then bring it in to get fixed, and get the second opinion by them. Let them know you probably already know what it is, but don't tell them, and see if they come up with the same issue.

Your speed sensor could also be broken, which the PCM reads in order to command shifts along with the RPM and engine load (MAP)... these all come into play when the tranny is trying to figure out when the shift. If it's pulsing, it means it's a screwed up command, and is not commanding the shift. With a scanner, you can figure out what gear the PCM is commanding, and see the actual gear, so you'll know whether it's mechanical, electrical, or computer logic.

Good luck, and please provide more details on the specific issue. Also let us know if you have any problems on the gauge cluster, like it's not reading RPM, or not reading your speedo.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:04 PM

It only does it when i'm accelerating at a constant pace (like keeping the throttle in one spot for a period of time). And you can see the RPM "fluttering" between 1-2 and 2-3. And it's only at slower speeds, like slowly accelerating from a complete stop. I'd rather have it fixed before our -45 celsius Manitoba winter... But it doesn't help that my mechanics are so dense that they didn't notice the hole in my exhaust system... -.- So I'd be surprised if they could do anything about this in the first place.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Trans help!