Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

To tranny flush or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM

yes i have done the plugs,wires,upper and lower radiator hoses,both heater hoses,PVC,EGR with the air gap of course and Fel-Pro gaskets.I back flushed it and filled it with Prestone all make extended life antifreeze.
Does it have Dexron VI in it now?If not you are saying it's OK to mix the two correct?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No, right now it has Dexron III in it, but YES it is PERFECTLY ok, actually recommended by GM to mix the Dexron VI. GM only recommends Dexron VI now, and stopped licensing the Dexron III products. So anything in the store you see as Dexron III, is NOT licensed or approved by GM.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 PM

I haven't replaced the spark plugs yet. The mechanic I go to said they are good until 100,000 miles. I'm not experienced enough to do the tranny work myself. All I've ever done on my car is change my oil and clean my k & n air filter. I talked to the guy today about the flush, he said it would be $109 for my car. I'll be taking it to him Sat....

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 PM

for anyone that is going to change the fluid or flush the tranny fluid
1. dexron VI is great fluid.
2. there is a gm TSB about the magnets regarding placement and use of 2 in the pan and a different kind of magnet also.
3. flushing is only good if the trans was neglected and burnt the fluid or is contaminated with something else.
4. if the re-usable gasket isn't still on the car, get one they are the best.
5. DO NOT PUT Lucas trans fix or any other fix-it in a bottle in there if you want it to last.
6. there are 3 steel lines inside the pan, use a small hammer and lightly tap them into the respective attaching points tighter than they were, then use plastic zip ties of good quality and strength and tie them together tightly and cut the excess so it doesn't interfere with the filter. where the 3 go into the casing wrap only 2 lines together but do all 3.

the last step is to prevent the tubes from coming loose which will decrease line pressure causing slips, poor lubrication and overheating of solenoids. for anyone who says a 4t65 is a weak transmission they are wrong, they fail because of these tubes getting loose thats about all.

I'll bet everyone is going to do a trans service real soon now after knowing what i just told you all.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Thanks too all for the info.
VERY informative I will be doing the trans service as soon as time will permit.
soon as i figure out how to post a picture i will show you why Rubbin's Racin'
(Got The pictures to download)

Last edited by ETexasTwister; 04-15-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Justin
As soon as you or anyone else can post a picture of the tubes in the pan you were talking about would you do that please?(with the zip ties on them) It looks like the only thing I might not be familiar with.
Thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would also like to see that.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I would also like to see that.
X2, this has me very curious!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 PM

if this post was originally made before last friday i could have shown you on my own car...damn i just did all mine because i wanted to switch to the dex 6.
i'll see what i can do the next time a 4t65 is in for trans service at the shop.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 PM

okay so i found a picture of a 4t65e with the pan off heres what i explained to do i used microsoft paint to illustrate but cannot get it to post if you want to see what i've done email me at jtk030704@hotmail.com and i'll reply the picture to you.

Quick Reply: To tranny flush or not?