Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

tranny blew like a granade

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default tranny blew like a granade

well on the way home today on the high way my transmission went like a granade and it was scarry to get it over to the side of the road straght. is the 4t65e known to do some thing like that be fine and strong, and give out like that as in go out taking the case and the rest of the parts of the trans with it. i am worried when every thing craked and shatered it ruined the engine where the bolts screw in on the back side of it. where the trans and engine conect as well. i am worried maggie my monte will be no more do to it being three miles over my extended warrenty and worried that the dealer will say sorry its abuse cant fix her.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:04 PM
15 Year Member

bad thing is i still owe money on her about 4k and i am stranded right now and up set

Old 07-12-2010, 05:42 PM

All I can do is hope for you. I think that absolutly sucks some BIG ONES!! 3 Miles!!? I hope it works out for the best for you. But, you should be okay, you do have full coverage cause its on a loan right?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Wow, that sucks... Did you look at the transmission to see if it's damaged on the outside? Chances are, it's an internal problem to be honest. These transmissions aren't the strongest things in the world, and I have heard of them quitting all at once.

3 miles over your warranty though... They might not fix your car, but if you level with them and see what they'll do, they may help. If not, bitch at them, it can't hurt.

wht02monte - full coverage does not include mechanical repairs.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I was talking about it if it were to be totaled, But then again, I wasnt thinking about the reason it would be totaled... Its one of those nights you know? Just one of those nights

Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
15 Year Member

the internal parts blew threw the case of the transmission like shrapneland. where the trans mission conects to the engine looks worse than the rest. but i did hear some good news though the engine is fine but the fly wheel is missing some teeth from what happened. the dealer was able to check the engine and start it to see if there was any damage to it. there wasent exept the fly wheel. they did say that all the impallas that the sheriffs deputys use were doing the same thing under normal driving. so there is some thing going on. they said the housing that the bearings that the main shaft spins on in the transmission. the case shaters and makes the whole trans case and the internals shater and fly every where. i was told i was lucky i didnt have a engine fire as well do to where the fuel lins are related where the peaces flew and completly missed all the major lines. as in emission gas lines and coolent lines. now i am wondering where is the recall on the transmission. but at least the dealer is paying for the rental do to the ghost's i had in the electrical. they also said they will put in the beater of the two transmissions. well i am happy i am getting my maggie back with a new transmission. they said it will be the 4t6ehd instead of the 4t6e i am happy it will be fixed i am suprised it is the better of the two transmissions. it will be friday when i will get her back they said they are going to make sure every thing is going to be golden on it. they seen the records of the car the trans servicing the dealer has done i have even noted in the manuel also a not pad i keep with it the miles and time when i do the oil change and the type of oil as well. the dealer is conserned because they did the trans service and they should have seen damage when they droped the pan. so they told me not to worrie about the warrenty or rental or any of the fees related to the work. how they acted and how they showed there body language is they want every thing to go well do to what was going on with me. they seen how i treated the monte like it was like gold. wich i do because it is my daily driver.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

goodluck

Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've destroyed 3 flex plates now, and it looks like 3 torque convertors, also. The tranny itself is OK. I'm guessing your torque convertor let loose. Altho I had reverse go out and destroy my tranny in my '01 MC SS LE. It didn't shatter the case, but it didn't do it any good either.

I hope you can get this fixed without costing you TOO much!

BTW, my Intimidator is laid up because of transmission problems, AGAIN. So don't feel alone.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM

glad you came out on the good end

Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM

is the 4t65e known to do some thing like that be fine and strong, and give out like that as in go out taking the case and the rest of the parts of the trans with it.
Any transmission is known to do that- hence why race cars have a scattershield to contain it. You have to figure, some of the parts inside of there get up to very high RPM (much higher than your engine) add to that all the interia- everything from your pistons to your tires, and if something breaks- all of that energy has to go somewhere. Obviously the aluminum shell of the transmission can't always contain all the debris- but at least it takes the bulk of the energy out of the system. I used to have a pic of an SRT-4 with a hole in the hood from a failed clutch/flywheel.

Is the trans known for breaking in general- well, yes and no. They're not specifically a terrible transmission, there are far worse out there- but they're not bullet proof either.

but the fly wheel is missing some teeth from what happened.
You don't have a flywheel- those are on manual transmission cars; you have a flexplate.

they did say that all the impallas that the sheriffs deputys use were doing the same thing under normal driving.
Must be an odd coincidence, I've never heard of this being a super common 4t65 problem.

now i am wondering where is the recall on the transmission.
Why would there be a recall on the transmission? As I said above, its not an overly common problem with the 4t65; and any transmission that has a major failure can potentially do the same thing. I mean, they're kinda right about the fuel line thing, but that's a pretty long shot for both to happen- you have to have a piece of sharp metal fly directly at them to sever them, and then you'd need a spark (which if parts are already through the case and 6" away, you're not going to have a lot of sparking left anyways). Definitely could happen; but there really isn't any way to perfectly safe guard it- they're not going to armor plate the fuel lines just in case the engine or trans blows up and just so happens to cut and spark near the lines at the right time.

they also said they will put in the beater of the two transmissions. well i am happy i am getting my maggie back with a new transmission. they said it will be the 4t6ehd instead of the 4t6e i am happy it will be fixed i am suprised it is the better of the two transmissions.
lol, what? Why would they put a 4t65HD in? You do realize the 4t65HD is virtually no different strength wise than the 4t65 except at the differential- and it sounded like your failure was up at the TC/input shaft area. Not to mention, the 4t65HD from your year would use a different stall torque converter, and would also have lower gearing (2.93 vs 3.29) meaning your car would be noticeably slower than it was before.

they seen the records of the car the trans servicing the dealer has done i have even noted in the manuel also a not pad i keep with it the miles and time when i do the oil change and the type of oil as well. the dealer is conserned because they did the trans service and they should have seen damage when they droped the pan.
Honestly, there may not have been anything to find when they dropped the pan. There may have been little warning before it gave; sometimes they just go out- and like I said, stuff is spinning so quickly with so much force, that something little can turn major very quickly.

so they told me not to worrie about the warrenty or rental or any of the fees related to the work.
Definitely lucky on that one! Realistically though, it wouldn't have been that bad if you had to pay for it, you can get a used 4t65 for under $500- figure another $500 or whatever for a shop to throw it in (not sure what they charge)- but it wouldn't have been too terrible.

Quick Reply: tranny blew like a granade